a quote got me to start again...weight loss at 70

Options
I think when you reach a "certain age", you begin to realize is not just a matter of looking good, or feeling better or even if your new skirt will fit. It becomes a matter of life or death. People usually who take care of themselves when they are older, live longer. I see friends who don't care for themselves, don't exercise or watch weight and they are all, without exception, sick. THey have walkers, they have operations. They complain, but don't change anything. I don't want to be that way..and I realize that I have to work to make things happen. I saw a show last night, not at all on a weight topic, and one of the characters said "if you are weak, you die." It made me think that for me, that is true. If I am too weak to diet, exercise, go to the doctor's, take care of myself....the result will be that my life will end much faster.

So, here I go again. I need to lose 60 pounds. I have done that...more than that, before. I can do it again. It will make things so much better and I have the time to focus now on myself and my health. I have got this. I will keep posting. Goal for this week...starting today....2 pounds by next friday. JS

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yay! You can do this!
  • lisabetts142
    lisabetts142 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. Three of my friends were diagnosed with breast cancer last week and one with type 2 diabetes. I am 51 and have 56 lbs to lose. I'm trying to lose it in 9 months. I don't know if that is realistic, but I'll just take one day at a time.
  • DulcimerRick
    DulcimerRick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's really awesome to see folks in my age range making positive changes in their lives! It truly is never to late to start over. I'd certainly welcome any friend requests from like minded folks!
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration. Fit bits are actually quite simple. Once you get it hooked up it is just a matter of syncing it to get your results. Tip if you can't get it to sync. Turn off bluetooth and turn it back on, on your phone. If that doesn't work, restart the device. I had this problem. You got this.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @joanslavin I'm 71, and it's taken me 3 years, but I've lost 63lbs and it's changed my life so much. And you are right. It's a full-time commitment to get back to health and fitness. You can do can do it! Go girl!
    PS: I had to lose the weight because I needed a hip replacement. (Successfully Done in Sept 2015) Nothing motivates as much as being told you are headed for a wheelchair.
  • babecker1951
    babecker1951 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love to see people my age on here. I'm 66, have lost 15 and have 35 more to go. I also have been motivated by health and seeing people my age with so many medical issues. I want to enjoy my retirement!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    You've got this. I'm working on losing weight for the same reasons; I don't want the obesity related health issues I've seen with my friends and family.