Shifting the pounds!

Options
Hi everyone!

I am not exactly new to using myfitnesspal however I am new to actually posting and trying to gain more knowledge on how to lose weight properly. I've tried meal replacement shake diets which did work before, however when I stopped I pilled the weight back on and then some.

I am going on holiday this year and after finding out I weight 10 stone 8 this made me cry a little bit and gave me that "no this needs to stop". My ideal weight before my holiday, which is 5th May would be to be around 9 stone and lose the flab at my belly as this seems to be where the worst of it is. However I really seem to be struggling to lose any weight.

Might be worth to note I am on the Provera contraceptive injection which people seem to believe puts weight on you that makes it harder to shift, but I am not willing to jump to this conclusion or be told I cant lose weight because of it.

I try and go to the gym 3-4 times a week and mostly do a spin class and body pump classes. I do work in retail full time so I am on my feet at work for at least 8 hours a day. I have a fitness tracker (Garmin Vivosmart 3) too.

My biggest issue is pretty much always with dinner. I think I am on the right track with breakfast and snacks at work but lunch time an dinner is where I lose it. My shifts can end between 5pm and 8:30pm so I don't always feel up to cooking something from scratch. (5pm more likely, 8:30pm very very unlikely)

I was just wondering if there is any advice out there that might help? Losing over a stone in 80 odd days, is it possible without feeling ill? Is it worth trying to track macros? Is there anyone else on here that has had the same struggle with losing weight whilst on the injection?

Replies

• Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like cooking something from scratch every day for dinner, why not pre-make some dinners on a day off so that you can still get the nutrition you need, but don't have to do anything but heat it up? When my man was deployed, I made my dinners ahead of time: roasted some chicken breasts, made mashed potatoes and gravy, or seasoned diced potatoes with a vegetable like broccoli or green beans, and then froze them all. Made it really easy to eat when I needed to, and by pre-portioning, I was able to keep the calories in line with where I needed to be as well!
  • JustSamzy
    JustSamzy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I never really know what to put together to prep to be honest. I have Turkey Taco Bowls that is a first for me and I quite like them. But other than that I am not sure what can be cooked then frozen or stored in the fridge very well
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never understood the whole only cook from scratch thing being such a mandate. I live in the 21st century and am so grateful to have the option of tons of healthy, well balanced meals that are prepared by someone else. We often feel like there are only two extremes either cook yourself from scratch or eat crap. It's simply not true. I keep several single serve dinners in the freezer that I just need to microwave. I put it together with a simple salad or a frozen vegetable that I've always microwaved and I have a perfectly reasonable dinner.

As far as the depo shot goes, it does not cause weight gain. It can possibly cause you to feel slightly hungrier, but personally I even question that. Don't use it as an excuse for not following your plan and you'll be fine.

My last bit of advice/opinion is to not set a specific loss goal by a particular date. It will cause unnecessary stress, which you're already experiencing. Plus, it puts the focus on the short term when weight loss and health in general need a long term perspective.

Set up MFP to lose 1 lb/wk. Set your activity level to sedentary and connect your Garmin to MFP to adjust your activity calories throughout the day. I have the same tracker and find it incredibly accurate, so let it do that work for you. Eat what MFP tells you to eat and give it time.

You won't make your vacation goal, but you will lose wieght and it will be sustainable regardless of your vacation.

Best of luck.