Nutrisystem: Good Results?

Options
I'm considering NutriSystem (for men) although I'd like to know any results and comments from folks that have done NutriSystem in the past...

Replies

• Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried it. I think you’ll be disappointed.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I tried it and thought it was disgusting. Could not stand the food to the point where I would make myself sick to my stomach just thinking about my next meal
  • wizzybeth
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    The food is really bad. Everything has the same brownish tinge to it and it all tastes faintly of a weird artificial flavoring. The portions are very small and you are still required to add in your own proteins, fruits, veggies and carbs.

If you want things that are pre-portioned, you'd have better luck scouring the frozen aisle and stocking on Lean Cuisines or similar meals.

I second the Lean Cuisines! Those are delicious and they are not that expensive. And yes the portions are somewhat small... That's the point... But you can round them out with some steamed veggies or a salad and it's a delicious meal. I mixed a Lean Cuisine with half a bag of steamed broccoli one time and it was fantastic. They're not that expensive either. I completely love Lean Cuisines
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    moelman13 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm going to just do it myself: learn to eat the right stuff, and track everything!
    Depending on what you mean by the right stuff, this too can be "eating yourself into a corner". There are no right or wrong foods, it's all about amounts and frequency, context and proportions. Balanced meals are healthy, so are varied meals. You should be able to fit in all your favorites, but if they are many and calorie dense, you will have to portion them out carefully and not eat them very often.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    moelman13 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm going to just do it myself: learn to eat the right stuff, and track everything!
    Depending on what you mean by the right stuff, this too can be "eating yourself into a corner". There are no right or wrong foods, it's all about amounts and frequency, context and proportions. Balanced meals are healthy, so are varied meals. You should be able to fit in all your favorites, but if they are many and calorie dense, you will have to portion them out carefully and not eat them very often.

Exactly. Some of the things I enjoyed this week (and I had a 2.6 lb loss too) included:

Several glasses of wine
    A few servings of candy
    A meximelt from taco Bell (but that could have been last week... But last week was over 3 lb lost lol)
    Several servings of (Halo Top) ice cream
    Lorna Doone cookies
    biscotti
    Cheese
    Garlic bread, pasta and meatballs
    Pizza

All logged and within my calories and most days I met most of my macros.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried it in the past. Didn't care for the food, but it wasn't horrible. I gave the rest to my husband who didn't like it, and he eats anything and everything! I didn't lose on Nutrisystem only because I didn't stick to their foods.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    alkav1 wrote: »
    Is m trying it currently for one month and I don’t think the food is horrible. I have lost 5 pounds in 5 days so I am very pleased with my results so far! Hard to keep going but going to try to stick to it as long as I can this month.

Just as long as you understand that 5lbs in 5 days is not healthy loss. Steep deficits often result in muscle loss as well as fat.
  • aellyn90
    aellyn90 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did Nutrisystem religiously for one month, then M-F for another month. The food wasn’t as horrible as some people are saying, at least for me (everyone has different tastes). It was VERY SALTY though.

I was mainly focused on learning portion sizes and enjoyed having everything ready to go. It helped a lot. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I’ve since stopped (still finishing up some of the food), but I’ve maintained the weight I lost (around 10 pounds for those two months -with no exercise).

I’ve had better luck meal prepping on my own and excersizing. Down 17 pounds! My stomach got used to portion sizes through the system and I think that has helped.
  • Smileyawaw
    Smileyawaw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on Nutrisystem now and I don't find it horrible at all. I'm on the plan where I can mix frozen and shelf stable foods and I've lost 28lbs in 11 weeks. You have to know your palate and do some trial and error. It is definitely pricey but I'm learning good habits and have been getting used to smaller portions. When I went off plan for my work retreat, I felt terrible and gained 5lbs in 5 days. You have to do what works for you. NS is working for me and my diary is open to friends if anyone is interested to see how/what I've been logging. Good luck to everyone on their respective journey! :-)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I did Nutrisystem years ago and there were a few things that just didn't work for me. But, I can say that I did learn some things that probably have helped with MFP.

- You will learn portion size
    - You will expand your eating preferences - I remember a meal with peppers, something that would never have eaten in the past, but since I paid and I was hungry I ate them and developed a taste for them :)
    - You will learn how to plan out meals and how important that can be.

I think, if you feel you can benefit from certain aspects of the program and can afford it - give it a try.