Morning vs. Evening Exercise

Options
Does it make any difference to your overall weight loss if you exercise in the morning or in the evening?

Replies

• ljsain1355
    Options
    Does it make any difference to your overall weight loss if you exercise in the morning or in the evening?
  • Elita
    Elita Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I dont think so, its just when you have time!! I personally refuse to get up extra early to work out so i go to the gym at night!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    All that matters is THAT you exercise. AM or PM. Whenever you can do as much as you feel you need to do.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its good to switch it up. I usually work out in the morning because with 3 kids by 4 I am tired. But mixing it up is good for your body. Just getting it in is key to weight loss success.:happy:

Alisha
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    The personal trainer at my gym said that morning was best because of something that has to do with your hormone levels in the morning. I personally do it after work because I cherish my sleep too much- he said either way is fine, mornings are just better.
  • johnjon99
    johnjon99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to think mornings are better...if you're not stumbling around, falling off the treadmill / bike, or dropping weights on your toes. I don't wake up until I absolutely have to.

Also, I have found that once you exercise your body is more awake, and it can make it difficult to get to sleep at night (if you do it before bedtime). Personally...I'm lucky to get up and do it at all. I hate exercising with a goat passion.

But, all-in-all, exercising in the morning will give you more energy throughout the day. And I honestly think it can improve a person's attitude as well!
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    If we are talking about cardio, and we are doing cardio to burn fat, then mornings are the absolute best time to work out, before you eat anything.

Your blood sugar is low and stable and your body is much more inclined to burn fat for fuel at that time. There are some people (John Basedow) who say that cardio in the AM burns up to 200 times more fat than at other times. I doubt that is accurate but it does make sense that early AM cardio is more beneficial.

Also you are raising your metabolism right away and it will still be on an exercise high when you consume what should be your largest meal of the day.

If you can't work out in the AM then the next best time is right after a strength routine, but it will be less beneficial.

However working out at anytime is 1000% better than not, so if you sleep in and don't have time until 7PM, go workout then. Honestly I can't get up in the mornings and do almost all my cardio after dinner.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    To be honest it depends one you. I can not perform my best in the morning. Which means I am not burning as many calories as I could/should be. Thus, in my case it makes a bigggggggggggg difference.

I have heard that that mornings are better and evenings are better, from different trainers. It goes hand in hand with the cardio question "should you do it before or after strength training". So do whatever you can do and do it when you fell your best.