Let’s be real...

Ok so here’s the thing. I just started a diet. Well basically cut out all bad food and only eating good healthy (nasty) food. I am seriously feeling worse than I was before now. I can never eat bad food again? If I go out to eat with the guys I can’t order a big ol juicy burger with fries? “Hey drew how’s that salad?” Ya..embarrassing. I just don’t think I’ll be able to do this. I’m obese and scared of heart disease and all that stuff but I just can’t imagine life without the good food. “But fruit is so good and tasty and it’s so good for you omg” *kitten* that. Fried chicken is the *kitten*!! Idc what you say but healthy food is just nasty I just won’t get used to it and quite frankly I don’t want to get used to it. I’m just suffering inside. Yes I want to be fit and healthy but I don’t wanna completely block out the good tasting food. Idk what to do. I just want to eat what I want and be happy. I’m happy being fat I don’t care about my looks I’m not trying to impress anyone I just don’t want to die from a heart attack or clogged arteries or whatever doctors scare you about obeseity. PLEASE HELP

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Don't quantify food as "good" or "bad". Find healthier foods you do enjoy eating, but if you occasionally want a burger or fried chicken? Work it into your calories.

+1
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    It's important that you stay within your calorie goal everyday. How you do that is up to you. Get a digital food scale, start weighing, measuring and logging your food--that is what's essential. Move more if you can, even walking is good to start. I imagine you want to stay alive and healthy to watch that baby grow, so get moving, don't feel sorry for yourself, and good luck.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Do you know how to cook? If not, please find someone to teach you. Learn to prepare foods in ways you find appetising.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Being real - you might not be able to eat the same food in smaller quantities. If I ate the same thing that I used to eat 5 years ago in smaller quantities, I'd be hungry all the time, because it was mostly high calorie/not filling stuff. Yes, it's all about calories, but really, you don't want to be hungry all the time either.

But no, you don't have to stop eating it. But yes, you'll have to learn to make better choices overall. Really though, websites like skinnytaste give some pretty good lower calorie recipes of comfort food. Surely there are SOME lower calorie things that you like? Focus on those. And you can modify things you like and make your own burgers with leaner meat to start with, for example (and homemade fries with just a bit of olive oil and roasted in the oven).

After that, if you don't want to be completely miserable, don't pick a crazy 'lose 2 lbs a week' goal (1 lb is better than nothing, trust me), and try to be active so you can eat more (that's key for me, I'd never have lost weight if I could only eat 1400 calories a day - NEVER).
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    I will still have a burger with fries occasionally but I will often eat the burger sans bun and halve the fries or order a side salad instead. When I cook burgers at home, I wont have the bun and will make some other type of side.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    It's called moderation. Hell I am a dibaetic but I sure eat a doughnut or cupcake or pasta sometimes. You cannot eat like that everyday. No one should be eating like that every day, not the guys you hang out with that aren't on a diet. It'd not healthy for anyone to eat pizza and drink beer several times a week in the long run. But also if you just go cold turkey and go from pizza and purgers and KFC to a salad you'll go nuts. Try changing the options like get a side salad instead of fries with the burger, go for the green beans instead of mac and cheese with the fried chicken. Drink more water during the day.
  • Can you and your friends go to a more upscale burger joint like Five Guys or Smashburger? Add some veggies to your burger, try the mushroom or veggie or turkey burgers. Change it up and try new tastes. Having a weekly or monthly treat will make you feel you haven't gone insane!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Good news! Weight loss is all about calories. As long as you're in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. It doesn't matter if those calories come from a burger or a salad.

I personally eat lots of fast food, desserts, etc... and it hasn't affected my weight loss progress at all. Because I log everything as accurately as possible and stick to my calorie deficit every day.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Weight matters and if you don't want to be overweight, due to fear of a heart attack or whatever, you need to either cut back on how much you eat, OR change the type of foods that you eat. You could probably lose weight eating burgers and fries, but you won't necessarily be that much healthier.
    I eat healthy about 85% of the time. I still eat juicy burgers sometimes. And pizza. And nachos. And beer. Just not every day. For me it's about having a balance and there are some things I don't compromise on. I refuse to eat low fat cheese, for example. And I can't imagine life without wine.
    So, it doesn't sound like you're quite ready to do what it takes to make you healthier. When you reach that point, you'll have to decide what changes you're willing to make.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I eat pretty much the same foods I always did just changed portion sizes to fit my calorie goals.
    I like vegetables and fruits but I am still eating burgers. I'm not eating a triple bacon cheeseburger with fries and shake but a regular burger, side salad and unsweetened tea fit my goal okay. Some days I have the fries.
    I find prelogging very helpful to meeting my goals and making better choices.

To lose weight you need to consume fewer calories. You have to decide what foods fit uour calorie goal and satisfy you. If you completely change your diet to stuff you don't like it won't be very sustainable. Log what you normally eat and see where you can make smaller changes but stilll have stuff you like. Look at your whole day or week.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10532249/do-you-eat-what-you-want/p1
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    If I go out to eat with the guys I can’t order a big ol juicy burger with fries? “Hey drew how’s that salad?” Ya..embarrassing.

If your friends are actual friends, they will support you in becoming healthier and reaching your goals. Sure, they may have a bit of a laugh with you as friends do, but ultimately they will support you if they are worth bothering about.

Saying that, you don't have to switch burger for salad. How about a smaller burger? Half the fries? Or just having the whole thing but only once in a while or having a bit less in the days around it? This isn't about switching to all the food you hate, it's about eating what you don't hate but in moderation and sensibly while keeping to a calorie goal. In time you will likely find that you want to switch things as you don't find them filling enough to fit in, but that will come with time.