HI! 53yo working to reverse borderline diabetes bloodwork

Options
sueami1
sueami1 Posts: 15 Member
edited February 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all -- thought it would be helpful and motivating to introduce myself instead of lurk.

I am Sue, a Californian transplanted to Colorado a decade ago, a newspaper reporter in my pre-kids life, a SAHM/homeschooler since then, with a stint as a massage therapist in CA to help fill the family coffers and exercise the right side of my brain. I am now gently nudging my teens closer to the edge of the nest and wondering what incarnation comes next for me.

I had gestational diabetes in both pregnancies, so I knew that I should watch my weight and sugar intake, but apparently I didn't really believe it until the bloodwork finally shifted. With pre-diabetes fasting and A1C numbers and cholesterol reading spiking into statin-usage territory, and some unhappy liver markers, it is past time to make lasting lifestyle changes.

Funnily enough, when I opened the labs on my computer a weekend ago, I was strangely calm and processed them into enthusiasm pretty quickly -- I have wanted to lose 20 or so pounds for a long time but come from a family with dysfunctional relationships to food, yo-yo dieting, and tons of negative self-talk, so on some level, the goal of losing weight to be thinner was just too fraught for me.

Having a solidly health-based reason to change my eating and enjoy the side benefit of being thinner and more attractive in my own eyes suddenly seemed exciting and I was ready to go for it.

I reactivated my account here, set a pound-a-week weight loss goal, and began tracking. I felt the immediate energy stabilization of dropping added sugars from my diet and was feeling great, until I went in for the follow up with my doctor to discuss these results.

I bounded in, enthusiastic about how I was already feeling better, smoother energy, started to tell her the changes I had begun to make and she briskly brushed those aside and said, "No, what you really want to do is a keto diet! I've seen many of my patients turn all their labs around with it and I'm sure you can do it and it's really the only way to go!"

I am conscientious to a fault with authority figures (but have a life-long habit of not considering my own body/inner voice my prime authority,) so I set aside my enthusiasm for a healthy, reasonable eating plan, and went home to research for hours the latest developments in keto diets.

I'd done keto eating twice before, in what I consider to be an unrelated health saga of five years of slowly crescendoing chronic fatigue that left me bedbound for two months in early 2015, until I figured out what I needed to learn from the experience.

I'd gone keto-level carb in an early attempt to manage an intestinal candida overgrowth that an alternative health physician had diagnosed as a possible cause of my symptoms. As those CFS symptoms worsened into disabling autonomic disregulation, I lived for months on the autoimmune protocol, on which I shed many pounds but no symptoms. (I recovered to normal via Reverse Therapy, which is another long story, but it's been three years now and I am fully confident that I will never return to that state again.)

But for me, this diet was both familiar and evocative of a terrible, terrifying time in my life. I gamely embarked on it anyway last week and within a day I hit what I thought was a keto-flu wall. As that day progressed, I was in bed and non-functional and I realized how close it felt to some of my bad chronic fatigue crashes and I thought, either a) I'd been contributing to my CFS all along back in the day with my habit of choosing the hardest-possible/perfectionist path in any situation and had been taking ketosis side effects for CFS symptoms or b)my inner voice was telling me (as I came to understand about every one of my symptom flares) not to go down this path, not to follow the same habits of giving up authority to another, of taking the most difficult path, and of trying to follow that path with obsessive perfectionism.

So, I immediately ate some seeds and an apple and after a day returned to nearly normal energy levels and what felt to me to be a sane, reasonable, healthy caloric restriction plan. I am not sure I will stay with this physician (it will depend on whether she can be encouraging about other ways of reversing pre-diabetes besides the LCHF system she is so devoutly attached to), but I am giving myself the 3-4 months before my next bloodwork to lose weight moderately (with a no-added-sugar and carb-lessened diet and lots of fiber in the form of veggies, some fruits and perhaps an inulin supplement) and see what that does for my labs.

That's my story in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to finding people who have reversed pre-diabetes without throwing their bodies into a starvation-mode energy production mechanism that my body has made very clear is not for me.

I'm very glad this community exists and shares it's collective wisdom. =D

Replies

• KerstinL66
    KerstinL66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Sue. I'm Kerstin, 51 yrs young, and also been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I had a heart attack 3 1/2 yrs ago and was on a good track to lose weight and exercise. Unfortunately, an unhealthy relationship turned me into an emotional eater years ago. January 2017 my doctor was all for gastric surgery. But I wasn't ready. Tried to lose weight, but nothing. 6 months later I went to discuss the surgery. While talking she found out about my home life and suddenly disapproved the surgery. She believes that a weight loss will not happen until I'm happy. Meaning straighten out my home life. Otherwise, i will find ways to get the calories back in me. I am still in this relationship, but started to think about myself 4 weeks ago. I am watching the calories and exercise. I am hoping that my labs in 4 weeks will be better. My goal is to lose about 100 lbs and get rid of the pre-diabetes. Feel free to add me!!
  • sueami1
    sueami1 Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hi Kerstin, thank you for the reply and add invite!

My sister got that gastric surgery in the midst of ending a terribly unhealthy marriage, and for the first several years, after an initial loss, she plateaued and then started gaining back weight. She did eventually get better at setting some boundaries with her ex and letting go of some of her compulsion to avoid displeasing him (teenagers were involved and she wanted to keep the relationship civil for their sake) and perhaps that was what helped her to lose weight again. she is now I think at a very healthy weight, though she is still looking to get closer to her college athletics lows.

It is really hard, though, I think, to sort out all of the internal programming and habit patterns around eating and self-image and self-love, and to reconnect with our inner voice -- what we want to say no to, what we want to say yes to, what makes us happy, that we even have a right to seek happiness at all (rather than serve others or be liked by others). I find it hard to even catch the negative self-talk that drives my emotional eating because it is shame and fear-laden and that is so hard to convince the mind to look at directly -- mine wants to slide off and avoid that terrible-feeling thought, but until I do face it squarely, I cannot question it or release its hold on me.

That has been my path back to wellness after chronic fatigue and now I need to take it on in terms of mindful eating and taking care of this body that carries me through life. I'm feeling like I can do this now. Well, I guess I have to do this, if my blood work/body's voice is to be honored!
  • cshern
    cshern Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you. I cannot comment, but have type two diabetes in my family on my father's side. So I will be lurking on this thread. Wish I had more to add, but then again I guess I'm lucky not to...I will let you inspire me.
  • hopiemama33
    hopiemama33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 52 and a diagnosed Type II diabetic. I haven't been actually Keto, but rather low carb and it has helped my A1C go from 9.1 to 6.5. I am almost due for my next check and anxious to see where it is now. My grams of carbs are around 50 per day. I cut sugar, bread, and potatoes, except on weekends I do eat french fries! I've lost about 30 pounds in 7 months. I think it could have been more except I ate what I wanted through the holidays and had a vacation with unlimited food and an injury that prevented normal activity. I follow a couple of keto groups on FB, not because I subscribe to every notion, but I have gotten some good recipes, tips, and sources for other information.
  • suzinpb
    suzinpb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for 2 years now and still struggling to get my A1C below 7.5 I'm on Metforman and glimepirde. How many carb per meal does everyone try to reach? also Calories per day?
  • agape919
    agape919 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I was just diagnosed as Type II and am on 500mg Metformin. My doctor instructed to me to eat no more than 30 carbs per meal which she says is an aggressive goal. I've lost weight in just the last week but I'm thinking that I'm not consuming enough calories each day. Trying to figure out a good balance.
  • Billie1960
    Billie1960 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm back at this again. I was doing so good and then my dad passed away. I then became my mother's sole caregiver up until she passed away last may. This being said I gained over 50 pounds. And now I have type 2 diabetes. I feel like a failure. I feel scared about the diabetes.
    I have had 2 surgeries on my back. Now I have a knee that probably needs surgery from being overweight and doing to much walking on concrete. So not only is it hard to walk, it's so painful to walk. So I have been walking in a pool and 2 hours at a time.
    I feel all of you. My A1C is 9.1. I'm made my first step getting back on here since a long time. If you guys have any help for me, I'm open for suggestions