How do Icalculate calories burned without a HRM?

Options
Does anyone know of a calculator or something that will help me figure out accurately how many calories I've burned without using a HRM? I'm using Just Dance 2 and Michael Jackson the Experience on my Wii.

I could just log it in as dancing (if the MFP calculator is right) but since I've signed up for a challenge, I'd really like to make sure it's accurate.

Replies

• missana221
    missana221 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the only way is to wear and HRM
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How much math are you willing to do?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How do Icalculate calories burned without a HRM?

In one word: approximately.

Without an HRM, you're just guessing. I've found that MFP was over for some exercises and under for some. That said, I'd log it as dancing or aerobics, whichever is lower. It's better to underestimate than overestimate.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Use this calculator but you would have to know you average heart rate.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You really cannot be accurate without an HRM -- and that means a good HRM with a chest strap.

The cheapies with no chest strap that you have to touch every few minutes are just as inaccurate as guessing.

If you have to guess, I would use dance and then make the number lower --- or only eat half your exercise calories back.
  • punkindoesit
    punkindoesit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do the MJ game, I just keep track of how many minutes I'm actually dancing, then just log it as dancing.

Good Luck!!
  • micheledunne
    Options
    Im not really sure about how to calculate that. but I do have a question for u. Is the just dance 2 and mj experience working? I have both also and love to do them. But they say u have to move everything with it. Its hard with the mj one. But if u get answer to what u r looking for let me know please. I would love to start doing that. and u can add me if u would like
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    I double check with http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php because it is calculated with your weight. If the difference isn't much, I go with the lower number. If there's a difference of 50 cals or more, I go with caloriesperhour.com
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can get some ballpark estimates here
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A HRM is the only way to be fairly accurate. MFP's categories are pretty general. I bought a Polar HRM, it's only about $40 for the one that just reports heart rate and calories (no gps). Then you need to subtract your basal metabolic rate from the result. Since I have my lifestyle set for sedentary in MFP, I just divide the base calories MFP thinks I use to maintain my weight by 24 to get the BMR per hour to subtract from the number my HRM reports.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You can find your own heart rate without an expensive monitor:
    http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/ss/findtargetheart.htm

As far as calories burned while working out, that calculation is a bit more difficult - the Log Just Dance 2 work outs, I use "Dancing, General"
    I find that when I'm busting my hump, I burn a little over 10 calories/hour, so I get a ball park off that, and then allow myself to be under the caloried net goal for the day.
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm busting my hump, I burn a little over 10 calories/hour, so I get a ball park off that, and then allow myself to be under the caloried net goal for the day.
    10 calories per hour? You mean 100? Or 10 calories per minute? ::scratches head::
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I will look into getting a HRM but that's in the future for now.

Michele, I love JD2 and MJtE. LOVE them. It doesn't seem like exercising at all and yet my heart rate is definitely up and I finish drenched in sweat. I love dancing in general and I've found that you really do have to move your whole body to get the best scores. I'm currently 4 stars on Thriller for example ;)