Eating to late

Options
I wanted to know what is the latestest time I should have a meal or snack. I’m starting trying to get my health in order about 2 weeks ago and it is going well. I don’t want to set my self back by eating to late. Lately I have cut off meals at 8pm and if I do have something I will have carrots or a protein shake. I’m starting to miss my usual late night snack which was home made popcorn which I would put almost always to much butter and salt. I know this time around I wouldn’t put and unhealthy amount of butter or salt but I worry if I start in any capacity with popcorn around 7 or 8pm then I will suffer with those carbs. Feed back would greatly be appreciated on what others have done or any recommendations on what I should do.

Replies

• michael_m1989
    michael_m1989 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters as long as you're staying within your calories. I work night shift and I don't usually get my lunch until about 1 am. It hasn't affected my weight loss. I just make sure that I stay on top of tracking.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    meal timing is unimportant your body cant tell the difference. I eat 70%+ of my calories directly before bed and i lost 110 pounds just fine.

Edit: I also did it eating high carb, Stop hating on carbs they are literally your bodies fuel.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You probably shouldn't eat while sleeping, choking on food is hazardous to your health. Other than that meal timing isn't important. You could eat at midnight or 2:00am and as long as you hit your calorie goal you'll be fine.

ETA: I don't have dinner until 7:30 on work nights and I usually have a snack immediately before bed at 9 or 10.

Beat me to it, lol.

Meal timing is irrelevant as long as you're staying within your calorie goal.

And carbs don't make you fat, eating too many calories makes you fat - regardless of whether they're carbs, fat or protein.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant if you meet your calorie goals. Your body can't see the clock.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    becaholic wrote: »
    I'd say about 2-3 hours before bed. Then the food can digest better when you are awake vs sleeping. If u do snack just eat something light like a yogurt or a fruit. Easier said than done tho.

Sorry, but your digestion is not affected by your state of consciousness. That's a myth.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories right before bed! It makes no difference what time you eat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Does eating late affect your sleeping patterns (i.e. heartburn sufferers)? If not, you can eat as late as you want.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hundreds of thousands of years of evolution hasn't resulted in humans turning into gremlins because they ate late in the evening...

We're a highly evolved and adaptable species... if *kitten* happened because we are after dark, we likely would have died off a long time ago...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You probably shouldn't eat while sleeping, choking on food is hazardous to your health. Other than that meal timing isn't important. You could eat at midnight or 2:00am and as long as you hit your calorie goal you'll be fine.

That, and I don't like crumbs in bed. :)

I don't eat much early in the day, but will often have a midnight snack. :)

• Dc5887
    Dc5887 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank y’all for taking the time out to respond it has helped
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Dc5887 wrote: »
    Thank y’all for taking the time out to respond it has helped

There are a lot of myths about dieting and weight loss. Do some reading (there are great threads stickied at the top of most of the forum sections - most helpful posts). If you have questions, just ask.
  • rubydrm
    rubydrm Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Popcorn has always been one of my fave late night snacks too!! When I have it, I use a brown lunch bag, use a little less than a 1/2 cup yellow kernal corn, and stick it in the microwave. For me, I stop eating at 7:30pm--which is super hard because of work and sports schedules, but I find if I meal prep it is alot easier to stick to the schedule.