Anyone have gastric sleeve done?

Options
stephwht
stephwht Posts: 17 Member
Hello! I’m really considering going through the process of getting the surgery and wanted to begin making some friends that are about to go through the surgery and have already gone through it!

I was just wondering if anyone would want to tell me what the whole thing was like for you leading up to the surgery and also post surgery! You can add me and message me if you’d like!

Like what you had to do before you were allowed the surgery and what it’s all like post op! I can read as much information on it on the internet but in the end I’d like to hear personally from other people that have gone through it to get a better understanding.

Thanks!

Replies

• aik633
    aik633 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Google gastric sleeve complications. Ask if it's worth the risk. Decide whether you want to have major abdominal surgery or some will power.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    stephwht wrote: »
    I’ve had a csection so I’ve already had major abdominal surgery. And of what I’ve read 5 smaller incisions is different than one long cut all the way down to my uterus.
    I’ve had plenty of will power. I have just been overweight all of my life. I lose 20lbs and my body plateaus and I can never get past it no matter how much I exercise and eat healthy. I also have type two diabetes. And it’s been said to majorly help with diabetes. And it will make my future pregnancies much healthier with me being much healthier.
    So don’t tell me I have no will power by choosing gastric sleeve because it takes tons of willpower to even decide to go through that surgery because it’s not just you get the surgery and you are magically not overweight anymore. You have to work just as hard and change your whole way of eating and THAT takes will power too.

Please just consider that if you are going to have the entire way you will be eating after the surgery, to try that way of eating before the surgery.
    I have a friend that told me that if she knew that she was going to have to eat as much protein as she needed after the surgery she would have done that and not have the surgery.
    Look at the bottom of your food and exercise diary and see if you have an imbalance of the fats, protein,sugar, and carbs.
    Make sure that you get all your proteins .
    I have learned so much from this app. lost 70 ops and kept it off for 2 years just by trying to keep my macros in line. there were long plates but if you continue in the lifestyle change (not diet) a healthy lifestyle is possible.
    Will power can only take you so far, learning a lifestyle change will take you as far as you want to go.
    many of us have stopped being diabetic just by learning a different way of eating here.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hi @Stephwht, I have not had gastric sleeve but I did have a lapband. It was a big mistake. The sleeve may be easier to deal with but I had complications and had to have it removed. I have a friend who had the sleeve and lost the weight but gained it all back plus. I think as a tool it helps in the beginning but you still have to learn to eat healthy. For the lapband I did not lose much weight maybe 15 pounds or so but then had too much trouble with food sticking. If you eat alot of sweet food or high calorie food it won't help. If you eat healthy food but in too large quantity it might help. The lapband and the sleeve work on reducing bulk not calories. Whatever you decide good luck.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve on 9/21/17. Feel free to add me as a friend and message me with any questions. I am down a total of almost 90 lbs (30 before surgery, 60 so far afterwards). I am thankful I had it done. The important thing to remember is that you still have to do the work - you still restrict your portions, count calories/macros, and exercise. It's just a tool. Good luck with your decision!!
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it but I've been mulling it over for about 7 years. My sister in law had it done back in 2011, she tried to get me to do it with her but I backed out. I went to the 1st class my doctor scheduled about 3 years ago but stopped there. I keep going back and forth with the decision. I'm just getting older and it's getting harder, I'm type 2 as well and struggle to keep my numbers down, even if cutting out most sweets and sodas - I also lost 20 and got stuck, can't seem to go down no matter if I eat the junk food or not, it seems to stay around the same. So I start thinking about it again, but then in the end, I don't really want to do it. I am struggling with hunger and stress eating. I understand in most cases with the surgery, you initially eat less because there's no room, but the cravings may still be an issue so I would still be struggling. My sister in law did well with it and kept off the excess weight mostly, however, at Christmas I noticed she was getting heavier. We're all different, with varying issues so do what's best for your body and I wish you success in any avenue you choose to stroll down.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I would rather lose the weight naturally, then spend the money for a tummy tuck. Lots of people on here thought about getting weightloss surgery, then found they were able to lose the weight themselves. If you get surgery, you often have to give up certain foods for life, and that's a sad way to live.

You are right about that. That there are some foods I can eat only a couple of bites of and some I haven't eat since like steak. You also can't eat and drink at the same time.
  • sakassab
    sakassab Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve in 2011, I was only 21 when I had it done and I feel like I didn't take it serious.. I lost about 70 lbs, then started to gain. It's a wonderful tool if you work with it and don't expect it to just magically fix everything! Pain wise it was a breeze in my opinion! And getting approved as pretty easy as well, I had to meet with a nutritionist and have a psych evaluation prior to being approved and I had to do a liquid diet for about 3 days prior to surgery day. Which at 21 I couldn't even follow those rules! Like I said just make sure to know you still have to put in the effort and it is possible to stretch it out! Feel free to add me if you ever have any questions! :smile:
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have been considering getting some form of bariatric surgery myself, I actually have my first consultation here soon. I have really mixed feelings on it the more I hear and read about it. But I get stuck at a certain point with my weight, and just cannot seem to break past that barrier once I hit it. The struggle is real.. D:
  • jomama2076
    jomama2076 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today I will be putting my deposit to have surgery. I am only 5ft tall and 200 lbs. Once I had my last little one I have not been able to loose the weight on my own. I am one that will stick to a plan but just as soon as I don’t see results I go back to my old habits. I am very scared but think it is the best decision I am making for myself.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So I'll ignore all the negative people ...

I had the sleeve done on 8/23/16. My high weight was 281.6 and my current weight is 158.8. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I'm happier and healthier than I have ever been in my life. I exercise 4-5 times a week w/both cardio and strength training. Seriously, if you want to talk about it privately I'm more than happy to discuss it with you.

Not being negative. Being truthful. There is a big difference. I am not discouraging people from getting it. There is a lot of risks. You had none congratulations. Not saying everyone will but many people do have complications and problems including weight gain regain, dehydration, stomach pouch stretching (mine hasn't), unable to eat certain foods especially dairy, ulcers, hernias etc. Incidentally. You are still fairly new out of surgery.