Low sodium diet

Options
meganmdewar
meganmdewar Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Last August I took a 3 day fishing trip, and long story short, came back with vertigo. I finally got a diagnoses last week of Meniere's Disease. The DR has me on a Diuretic, Niasin and an antihistamine daily as well as a need to stay under 2000 mg of sodium per day to try and drain excesses fluid.

I am having such a hard time playing with meals to still get my appropriate macros, (Protein: 35%, Carbs: 40%, Fat: 25%) and not overdoing it on my sodium. In addition, I am no longer able to get on a stationary bike or treadmill due to getting dizzy.

Can anyone help with food recommendations and exercise ideas? TIA!!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Lots of whole foods...minimal processed foods and minimal restaurant eating.
  • meganmdewar
    Options
    My biggest issue is protein... I can do chicken, but gosh it gets sooooooooo old, no matter how I season it (mexican style, italian, homemade ranch mix). So I would tend to eat turkey/cheese/bell pepper roll ups, or tuna, something like that... but the sodium is so high! I do normally eat ~ 4 egg whites cooked each morning, but lunch and dinner is hard to get in.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You could ask your doctor about using salt substitutes. They're potassium chloride and taste very similar to salt. You just need to be careful not to overdo it. The daily recommended dose of potassium is 4,700mg for adults. I believe the salt-substitute I have is 650mg per 1/4 tsp.
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My biggest issue is protein... I can do chicken, but gosh it gets sooooooooo old, no matter how I season it (mexican style, italian, homemade ranch mix). So I would tend to eat turkey/cheese/bell pepper roll ups, or tuna, something like that... but the sodium is so high! I do normally eat ~ 4 egg whites cooked each morning, but lunch and dinner is hard to get in.

I assume the turkey you're using is deli meat turkey...very processed and generally pretty high sodium. Same for canned Tuna...lots of sodium to preserve shelf life.

You can eat other whole food meats besides chicken. Also, it doesn't always have to be chicken breast...we cook thighs far more than breasts. We eat lean ground beef, filets of cod and salmon, shrimp, lean cuts of pork, etc.
  • meganmdewar
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I assume the turkey you're using is deli meat turkey...very processed and generally pretty high sodium. Same for canned Tuna...lots of sodium to preserve shelf life.

You can eat other whole food meats besides chicken. Also, it doesn't always have to be chicken breast...we cook thighs far more than breasts. We eat lean ground beef, filets of cod and salmon, shrimp, lean cuts of pork, etc.

Yes, deli meat turkey. :( I always thought chicken thighs were more fatty. I will look into these options... thank you!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Cooking from scratch really is the best way to limit sodium. Experiment with other seasonings, perhaps starting with Mrs. Dash, but trying out garlic, onion, herbs, etc. Even low sodium versions of prepared foods can add up quick.

I imagine that the vertigo makes cooking difficult, as well. Take advantage of simple salads, using vinegar and oil for dressing. If you or someone close to you can bake a chicken every week, you can have the chicken meat all week long. Roasted vegetables take minimal prep and no supervision, other than timing.

As for exercise, you really should consult with your treatment team about what is appropriate.

• meganmdewar
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    You could ask your doctor about using salt substitutes. They're potassium chloride and taste very similar to salt. You just need to be careful not to overdo it. The daily recommended dose of potassium is 4,700mg for adults. I believe the salt-substitute I have is 650mg per 1/4 tsp.

I actually don't use Salt... its just what I eat in my foods. That's actually the only complaint my home-grown southern husband has... I NEVER use Salt or Pepper or any seasoning salts in my cooking.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

I actually don't use Salt... its just what I eat in my foods. That's actually the only complaint my home-grown southern husband has... I NEVER use Salt or Pepper or any seasoning salts in my cooking.

Gotcha. Switching to more whole foods will definitely help. Fresh fruit and veggies, fresh meats, rice, etc. Processed meats and cheeses are generally very high-sodium. Same with canned stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yes, deli meat turkey. :( I always thought chicken thighs were more fatty. I will look into these options... thank you!

They're slightly more fatty...not by much...and dietary fat isn't something to be afraid of...it is a very essential macro-nutrient. Dietary fat does not translate directly to body fat...too many calories does.

But yeah, deli meat is by and large pretty processed and loaded with sodium, though there are some lower sodium options. Canned goods are typically minimally processed foods, but often come loaded with sodium...but again, there are lower sodium options available.

I have to watch my sodium to some extent due to hypertension...that meant a whole lot of home cooking with scratch, whole ingredients. When I used canned goods, I typically get low to no sodium versions.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, bacon is not overly high in sodium! FEI- I love bacon but cut way back.
    I am also watching my sodium intake. A lot of what I am doing is finding way to reduce the overall sodium, instead of just one component of the meal. Maybe doing that could benefit you as well?
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Last August I took a 3 day fishing trip, and long story short, came back with vertigo. I finally got a diagnoses last week of Meniere's Disease. The DR has me on a Diuretic, Niasin and an antihistamine daily as well as a need to stay under 2000 mg of sodium per day to try and drain excesses fluid.

I am having such a hard time playing with meals to still get my appropriate macros, (Protein: 35%, Carbs: 40%, Fat: 25%) and not overdoing it on my sodium. In addition, I am no longer able to get on a stationary bike or treadmill due to getting dizzy.

Can anyone help with food recommendations and exercise ideas? TIA!!!

Hi there! I typically maintain around a 2000 mg sodium diet, but still come close to my macro goals. For protein, foods I will use are:

Jennie O turkey breast tenderloin
    Starkist low sodium tuna packets (not can)
    Boneless skinless chicken breast
    Extra lean beef 94/6
    Salmon
    Walnuts - Not salted
    Baked potatos
    Mrs. Dash seasonings - multiple flavors
    Met Rx protein shake

It's tough, but it can be done. Feel free to add as a friend if you want to peek at my diary. Just don't look at Saturday...gave in and had two slices of pizza that day and went way over :)
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    For exercise, maybe try the elliptical. For me, it tends to be lower impact, less stress, but still burns lots of calories and keeps me fit.
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm also low sodium (stay under 2000mg daily) for a medical reason. I struggle with protein the most, but usually I can get it in if I plan my meals out. No more eating out :( There are tons of low sodium or sodium free spices to switch things up with different meats too. I'll be honest I eat a lot of chicken lol. Just be careful because most of the sale chicken is injected with saline so it can add up too if you aren't careful.

For exercise, I've been doing some walking. Not on a treadmill though, something about it makes me feel dizzier. Just short little 10-20 min walks here and there. I like yoga with Adrienne on YouTube also, I just go slower if I need to.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    it can be done. i do it.. boy am i losing weight too. you just have to give up packaged processed foods. you have to go whole with foods, fresh vegetables, meats, herbs..and i season my food with vinegars and wine. lime and lemons too..give food a tang or salt like last. it takes time to adjust and relearn what you find as normal. you'll end up so healthy and better off.. you can do it.
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    Deli lunch meats are the worst when it comes to high sodium. That includes Subway, Jimmy Johns, etc. Most pizza has a ton of sodium as well, which really sucks :) If I eat any one of the above, I can almost guarantee I will be going over 2000 mg on that day.
  • meganmdewar
    edited February 2018
    Options
    THANK YOU guys so much for the help! We only eat out maybe twice a week, after church on Sunday and on Thursdays when our day is very busy. I'm finding that planning the restaurant the day before helps so I can peruse the menu... but I still go over on those days. :( Harris Teeter has Salmon on sale, so I went and got 2lbs of that, I'll use 1lb for lunches this week, then freeze the rest for later! Score!

I never thought of Yoga, I will check that out. Now that its getting nicer I'll be able to walk, but this winter has been very difficult in regards to exercise. :(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Remember all the peppers, onion and garlic in your southern cooking for lots of flavour with low salt.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Have you tried dried(not canned) beans or lentils for some protein variety? I usually soak them overnight so I don't have to spend the 2 hours it takes to cook them and make them into things like homemade soup (which you can control the sodium in) chickpea salad sandwiches, pasta dishes. I know you're not vegan but if you want to try some new recipes with beans and/or lentils for more variety try looking up some vegan recipes on pinterest.

ETA: I sometimes do a makeshift hot sauce with apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper that adds flavor.