Spaghetti

Options
I love spaghetti, except every time I read one of these diet books it tells me to avoid wheat. Does anyone have a great alternative to traditional noodles that may be healthful, especially without wheat, that won't take a class to learn how to do?

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I prefer sour s'ghetti... although I'm not sure that passes the muster as healthy, although it keeps me mentally healthy, so maybe we can make the argument.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with pasta if you can fit it in your calories, and to a lesser extent, macros.

If you are finding trouble keeping within your cals when you eat it, consider spaghetti squash instead
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder what else you read. No good or bad foods. All foods in moderation are fine. Unless you have a medical need to avoid wheat, don't worry about it.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ what he said.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    As others have said, no need to avoid wheat unless you have a specific medical reason to do so. "Diet books" say all sorts of things that are mostly woo. As long as you're staying within your calorie goal, you can eat whatever you want, including wheat.

Yummy, yummy wheat.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    whodeany1 wrote: »
    I love spaghetti, except every time I read one of these diet books it tells me to avoid wheat. Does anyone have a great alternative to traditional noodles that may be healthful, especially without wheat, that won't take a class to learn how to do?

Try and tell this to the Italians.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Like all the others before me have said, there's nothing wrong with traditional pasta. If you're looking for a change of pace, Brown Rice Noodles are a yummy alternative when you have an Asian inspired sauce.
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you're really concerned about wheat in spaghetti, try spaghetti squash or spiralized zucchini. Great way to get more veggies in.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid wheat, you can also try legume based pasta (black bean, lentil, chickpea, whatever). However, there's nothing wrong with wheat pasta either. I do usually prefer lentil pasta, but that's mostly to get a bit more protein.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are other options for wheat spaghetti such as Go Go Quinoa or pasta made from Black beans (not a fan of the later). My go to for spaghetti is now spaghetti squash, super easy to make, you can have a giant bowl and dessert and not blow all your calories on one meal.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My daughter has celiac and her fave gf pasta is Barilla. But she's also a poor college student!

You can eat pasta and diet. I started making it fresh. So good!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Except for medical reasons, you don't have to avoid wheat to lose weight
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I had green pasta with meatballs and beaucoup crushed red pepper tonight as a medical treatment.
    Dang if it didn't work, too. Anyway, that particular green pasta was advertised as 'super' something or other, but it wasn't. It was just wheat pasta colored green. Caveat emptor and bon appetit.
  • shiragatama
    shiragatama Posts: 33 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Pasta is really high in calories; an alternative I found is called Shirataki, which are a konjac-based clear noodle. my family would make it in shabu-shabu all the time, and theyre so great in asian-style stir fry, and basically ZERO calories! Its become a staple in my diet :-)
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with RachellaJ. If you can't fit in your food log as much spaghetti as you'd like, mix in some zucchini noodles... I don't have a spiralizer, but I have a julienne peeler (Titan brand) that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. I started out mixing in just a few "zoodles", but now I'm up to much more zucchini than spaghetti... but just that little bit of "chew" of the spaghetti in there is enough to make me happy.