Breakfast - how to do it

One of my failings in eating is I hate breakfast, and often ignore it, but get to 11am hungry and then will eat all sorts of snacks till lunch. Sigh. So..... simple and good ideas to break this please. I cant eat meat so my old go to of a bacon sandwich is a no no

:)

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2018
    Some ideas:

Fruit
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese and fruit
    Peanut butter sandwich
    Crackers with peanut butter or cheese and a piece of fruit
    Nuts, fruit, cheese (any combination)
    Small roll and cheese (with tomato?)
    Soup
    Oatmeal with fruit
    Cereal with fruit
    Toast with peanut butter, cheese, jelly (however you like it)
    Smoothie
    Frozen waffles
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    I don't eat eggs, but a hard boiled egg, an egg sandwich, or an omelette...
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    I have a protein (whey) + maltodextrin + milk shake after the first training session, that is my breakfast too.
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Overnight oats with fruit and yogurt/quark. You can make it in a leak proof beaker and take it with you if you don't want to eat first thing and it could replace the 11am snacking.

Pre-planning a snack for that time, as suggested above, is also a great idea.

I always eat breakfast because I'm a miserable cow if I don't but also because I know I make really poor choices later in the day if I don't.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    For a long time I didn't eat anything until 11 or so, I just planned for that to be my first meal. Now I don't eat until 3ish, but same thing. You don't need to eat breakfast, but you do need to plan for your first meal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Why not think of your breakfast as late breakfast. Start eating when you're hungry, and instead of random snacks think of easy to package meals with known calories and eat them for breakfast whenever you get hungry (11, 12 whatever time you want to eat it).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    You could just pack a lower calorie snack and eat it around 10-11 when you get hungry instead
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Why not think of your breakfast as late breakfast. Start eating when you're hungry, and instead of random snacks think of easy to package meals with known calories and eat them for breakfast whenever you get hungry (11, 12 whatever time you want to eat it).

This. Replace your snacks with a preplanned item. That's your breakfast. It doesn't matter that you eat it at 11:00 and then eat again at noon for lunch as long as everything is within your targets.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Sara628588 wrote: »
    One of my failings in eating is I hate breakfast, and often ignore it, but get to 11am hungry and then will eat all sorts of snacks till lunch. Sigh. So..... simple and good ideas to break this please. I cant eat meat so my old go to of a bacon sandwich is a no no

:)

eat 'brunch' at 11, have a snack mid afternoon if necessary, and your evening meal as usual?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    The first thing you eat is breakfast so all those snacks were breakfast. Obviously you don't hate eating in the morning so maybe you dislike the type of food or preperation of foods. Maybe you dislike large portions early in the day.
    You can eat any food at any time of day.

I prefer a smaller breakfast 100-300 calories.
    I dislike breakfast foods for breakfast many days so eat things like sandwiches or dinner leftovers. I like soup for breakfast. Today I had a salad.
    I don't like to spend a lot of time preparing food in the morning so I might have yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit, granola bar. I very rarely eat cereal or oatmeal or eggs for breakfast.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    I don’t like eating first thing, but there are days I know I’m going to really need to eat before I’d have a chance to get lunch. I like to make a snack mix out of nuts, berries/dried fruit, and some dark or bittersweet chocolate chips (weigh everything!), or I might mix up a protein shake and sip it while I’m getting ready. Those are filling enough to keep me going, without turning breakfast into a whole big thing.

But yeah, the spacing between your meals impacts the timing of your meals; why would it not? If you haven’t eaten breakfast you’ll be hungrier sooner than if you had. Why not turn that time you spend snacking into an actual meal?
  • Lynne_grandma
    Lynne_grandma Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2018
    What protein shakes do people suggest/buy please? I have only just started and trying to learn! I haven't got my protein levels or carbs up to what they are supposed to be. Many thanks.

Oops ignore the question please. Can't see how to delete it. Just come across an anwer elsewhere. Thanks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Why do you feel you need to eat breakfast?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    In simple terms, a brief "fast" is what happens during your nightly sleep, unless you have that disorder of eating in your sleepwalking. Then the first meal you have after arising in a day is technically "break"ing that fast. It really doesn't matter what you eat. You eat something and your fast is broken with your breakfast.

As has been said, eat what you like and stay in a deficit to loose weight. HOW you do it is your choice.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    edited February 2018
    Instead of snacking around at 11am just eat a hearty breakfast if you want. I love to eat breakfast burritos.
  • chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 66 Member
    my go to is avocado toast. it's filling and DELICIOUS!!! I also like hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and berries, and/or cereal