Do our bodies have a "set" weight?

Options
I am currently 22 years old and weigh 135 pounds. Granted, my weight fluctuates during the day due to water retention and so forth, but overall, I have been the same weight for a while now.

I joined because I want to lose some weight for a trip (or moreso, tone up). I have been working out for YEARS: am an avid runner, weight lifter, cardio, ANYTHING you name I'm doing. But the problem is that I am very muscular and I think that is what carries my weight and gets me discouraged.

Do our bodies finally say "you're done!" and stay at a weight that is what we are intended to be or am I just not working hard enough? I have been eating healthy for such a long time and only see weight fluctuation.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Replies

• PrettyNpink526
    Options
    I am currently 22 years old and weigh 135 pounds. Granted, my weight fluctuates during the day due to water retention and so forth, but overall, I have been the same weight for a while now.

I joined because I want to lose some weight for a trip (or moreso, tone up). I have been working out for YEARS: am an avid runner, weight lifter, cardio, ANYTHING you name I'm doing. But the problem is that I am very muscular and I think that is what carries my weight and gets me discouraged.

Do our bodies finally say "you're done!" and stay at a weight that is what we are intended to be or am I just not working hard enough? I have been eating healthy for such a long time and only see weight fluctuation.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think sometimes we are too fixated about a number on the scale
    You seem to work out a lot and said u were 'muscular'...which is a good thing!
    Are you trying to loose fat...what's the reason that you want the number on the scale to go down?

If you are a comfy size and happy with your body...I wouldn't care what the number on the scale was

Kim
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    If you are muscular, than I would rely less on what the scale says, and maybe more on your body fat percentage. Muscle is a good thing! :flowerforyou:
  • PrettyNpink526
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight for a Florida trip! (We all want to look bikini perfect, right?!) haha! :glasses:
    I guess I am trying to lose the fat I have. Maybe I should check into my Fat Body Percentage? Does anyone know how to do this or where I could get it done?
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I really believe our bodies have a comfortable "weight". I got down to my all time low weight for my wedding 2.5 years ago and always have that as my target, but just can't seem to get there. I still stay active, work-out, watch my diet and struggle with 5lbs. My husband always tells me my body is comfortable where I am now and that I shouldn't worry about it so much.

It sounds like you are really active so try and keep it in perspective.
  • RachVR6
    Options
    Making sure you're eating enough as well! If you do all that exercise and are only eating 1200 a day that is not healthy. Your body will be more likely to drop the weight if you're eating enough. :flowerforyou:
  • PrettyNpink526
    Options
    MPF has me set at 1200 cals a day but my BMR is 1400. I really wish they took weight and height into account....:grumble:
  • aasta
    aasta Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here is a site to check your body fat %. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/bfb
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    If it's fat you're trying to lose, it's all about what kinds of food your eating to make up your calories duirng the day. Your diet must be BALANCED to see results. If you are eating too many carbs, protein, etc your body will store it as FAT. Make sure you keep your metabolism up by eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day, making sure they are nutrient rich foods that your body can use as fuel to burn the fat. Eating clean is a great way to burn the fat.
  • RachVR6
    Options
    MPF has me set at 1200 cals a day but my BMR is 1400. I really wish they took weight and height into account....:grumble:

That's okay but then you must eat those 1200 plus your exercise calories. :wink: