Premade Protein Shakes

Options
Can anyone suggest a "good" premade protein shake that isn't full of sugar or crap?

The reason I'm wondering is because I'm going to be starting a new job in a few weeks working Mon-Fri 4:45am- 1pm. There is no way that I will be poaching eggs at 4am so I need an alternative. It also has to be something that I can just grab and eat as I wont have much time to sit down to a meal at work.

My plan is start the day off with black coffee and then throw an apple and protein shake in my bag to have later in the morning when I start to get hungry. Then when I get home at 1pm I can have my usual garden salad w/ chicken breast or tuna, then dinner and an after dinner snack.

If anyone has any other suggestions I am open to them.. but I would really loce to hear about some good shakes. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    shakeology
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    I love the lean body shakes... they are sugar free and awesome!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    When you said pre-made do you mean ready to drink? Or is powdered ok too? I believe the powdered ones have less ingredients in them, and they're more versatile in the sense that you can combine them however you like and precisely control portion size.

For the ready-to-drink versions, EAS and Muscle Milk are 2 of the most common ones.
    For powdered, there are lots and lots of choices. Narrow it down by scrutinizing the ingredients-list, flavor, and cost.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't recommend any premade ones as they do have alot of unwanted ingredients. I make mine the night before and just take it with me to work and have it for my morning snack. I use a cup of soy milk, 1/2 bananna, 1tsp vanilla flavoring, 1 scoop of a protien powder and a cup of frozen berries.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I make my own and just bring my blender bottle with the protein shake to work --- I even add protein to my coffee.
    I'm not a fan of any pre-made ones as most of the are pretty crappy.

My typical daily shake:;
    2 cups iced decaf coffee
    1 scoop whey protein isolate
    1 cup silk almond milk
    shot of sugar-free hazelnut or amaretto syrup

Nutritional Info: 145 calories, 1g carb, 3g fat, 0g sugar, 28g protein

If there is a pre-made with those stats and its actually a good whey protein isolate, I'd love to know the name.

If you need pre-made, just read the label.... they are just like greek yogurt!
    They put the name "protein shake" or "greek yogurt' on the label and most of them have more sugar than protein.
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When you said pre-made do you mean ready to drink? Or is powdered ok too? I believe the powdered ones have less ingredients in them, and they're more versatile in the sense that you can combine them however you like and precisely control portion size.

I used to make them at home with with powdered whey protein.. I didn't think of that actually. I could probably make it at night and stick it in the fridge. I'll have to check and make sure there's a fridge at work.. but that's a good idea!
  • HollyMcCaw
    Options
    I make my own and just bring my blender bottle with the protein shake to work --- I even add protein to my coffee.

My typical daily shake:;
    2 cups iced decaf coffee
    1 scoop whey protein isolate
    1 cup silk almond milk
    shot of sugar-free hazelnut or amaretto syrup

Approx 155 calories, 5g carb, 3g sugar, 27g protein

YUM!
  • HollyMcCaw
    Options
    I really wouldn't recommend any premade ones as they do have alot of unwanted ingredients. I make mine the night before and just take it with me to work and have it for my morning snack. I use a cup of soy milk, 1/2 bananna, 1tsp vanilla flavoring, 1 scoop of a protien powder and a cup of frozen berries.

This sounds like something I'd like too. Before I used chocolate flavoured whey powder, 1/2 banana, ice and 1 cup 1%milk..sometimes if I wanted to splurge I'd add 1 tbsp peanut butter!
  • KikeyT
    KikeyT Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there!
    My fav to use is by EAS: "AdvantEDGE® Carb Control™ Ready-to-Drink", The protien content is 17g., lower then some others out there, but 0g sugar. What I like about these also, is that I don't get a funny aftertaste like I do with some others (if that makes any sense to you). So far I've found Walmart has the best prices on these with all 5 flavors available to me. Good luck.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    This sounds like something I'd like too. Before I used chocolate flavoured whey powder, 1/2 banana, ice and 1 cup 1%milk..sometimes if I wanted to splurge I'd add 1 tbsp peanut butter!

i loooooove that recipe. anything with banana + peanut butter = bliss!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Youu mean something All natural, made fresh daily? something low cal?
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options

Behave!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You mean something All natural, made fresh daily? something low cal?

Behave!!
    I am SURE I have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about! *shocked!* I was going to google it!
  • Deev79
    Deev79 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing about the ready-to-drink shakes... glad you posted this. I think I'll try some of the recipes you and the others have shared. Thanks!
  • HollyMcCaw
    Options

You sound like my husband!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    making your own is obviously good. I also keep the EAS Myoplex Lite RTD on hand for convenience sake. They taste fine and are the non refidgerated fall back when life isn't cooperating.
  • tmuse78
    tmuse78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How long have you been making you shakes like this? It sounds good thanks for the ideal!
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a "good" premade protein shake that isn't full of sugar or crap?

The reason I'm wondering is because I'm going to be starting a new job in a few weeks working Mon-Fri 4:45am- 1pm. There is no way that I will be poaching eggs at 4am so I need an alternative. It also has to be something that I can just grab and eat as I wont have much time to sit down to a meal at work.

My plan is start the day off with black coffee and then throw an apple and protein shake in my bag to have later in the morning when I start to get hungry. Then when I get home at 1pm I can have my usual garden salad w/ chicken breast or tuna, then dinner and an after dinner snack.

If anyone has any other suggestions I am open to them.. but I would really loce to hear about some good shakes. Thanks :smile:

This isn't a shake but its something you can do it you want eggs.

I've been making egg "muffins" on Sunday to take to work during the week. They're super easy to make:

5-6 eggs scrambled
    chopped veggies - I use mushrooms and onions
    2% cheese

Preheat the oven to 375.

Take a muffin pan, line with muffin cups and spray them with cooking spray. Inside the cups layer your veggies, then add a bit of cheese on top. Once done pour the egg into each muffin cup till just below full.

Put the muffin pain in the oven and cook 25 minutes. I generally check them around the 15 minute mark. Once down let them cool them put it in the fridge in a baggy they'll stay for a week. Just nuke them for a minute to eat, I generally put mine on a english muffin.
  • prisk23
    prisk23 Posts: 1
    Options
    You should definitely try Orgain. SO yummy and all organic. And it makes me feel full afterwards. I pretty much drink a chocolate one every day.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

That's almost exactly how I make mine, but I add half a serving (20g) of powdered raw oats (and I use the whole banana). It's kind of like reverse proatmeal. I guess that would be an oatein shake? ;) Either way, it's delicious and very satisfying.