Pain in leg when run - Advice?

Options
Hi,
New poster here.
For the past 5 months I've been doing a fair amount of running and cycling to keep fit and for weight loss. Since a little after Christmas I've been experiencing a pain in my left leg when I run. What happens is I can run for 10ish minutes and feel great. Then I slowly get this discomfort/pain in the side of my upper left thigh, around the joint and sort of in the glute. It starts to get achy/tight the more I run once I start feeling it and then if I continue running I can't run without a limp.

When this first occurred after Christmas I took 2 weeks off running, and then tried a run.... no difference. I just took another 2 weeks off running and have been doing a lot of leg stretches as I read it could be the muscles on the side of my leg/hip. Again I went for a run this morning and the discomfort came back after 10ish minutes.

I can walk and cycle perfectly fine and don't feel this issue at all. It only seems to be when I run.
My running shoes are in good condition and have not had much use, although I am thinking I might have to buy more to see if this is the problem.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice and maybe experienced something similar themselves and had any recommendations for stretches or anything really.

Thanks.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would see a physio

its probably muscle imbalance somewhere
  • jamsoison
    jamsoison Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    i would see a physio

That's a route I may have to take, but also one I was hoping to avoid as physio's are expensive !
    Was hoping there might be some stretches/exercises people with a similar issue have done in the past that might also help me before I look down the physio route.

Good news is I can cycle ! I do enjoy going for a run as well though.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    jamsoison wrote: »
    i would see a physio

That's a route I may have to take, but also one I was hoping to avoid as physio's are expensive !
    Was hoping there might be some stretches/exercises people with a similar issue have done in the past that might also help me before I look down the physio route.

Good news is I can cycle ! I do enjoy going for a run as well though.

my physio is worth her weight in gold
  • jamsoison
    Options

Unfortunately I don't have much gold to spare :smile:
    I'll start saving the pennies for it, and in the mean time will see if anyone has any stretches or exercises that might help.

Thanks !
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Unfortunately I don't have much gold to spare :smile:
    I'll start saving the pennies for it, and in the mean time will see if anyone has any stretches or exercises that might help.

Thanks !

depends what the cause is though, to what stretches or exercise are worth doing...

i have a very tight glute due to muscle imbalance caused by a weak core. adding strength training and a lot of stretching on that side have more or less fixed me.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Stop running for more than 10 minutes.
  • jamsoison
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Not sure what you mean ?
    The issue occurs after around 10 minutes of running and then I do stop as running through the discomfort won't do me any good.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Perhaps start with getting a gait scan, I was doing a lot of damage to my back/pelvis/knees just from walking because I was over-pronating, it was exacerbating a back problem and then putting added pressure on my muscles. The gait scan helped me determine that I needed some more support in my shoes, I now use off-the-shelf orthotic insoles and after some strength training and stretching to improve my back strength/flexibility I was good to go.

My chiropractor did a gait scan and adjustments in the one session and it was around 45 euros but like @TavistockToad and her physio, it was money well spent (and partially re-claimed through my medical insurance).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, even if someone here had similar pain, it could have been caused by something different than what is causing yours.
    Check your ankle mobility. Check your hip mobility and strength. Try warming up differently and with some single leg exercises. There are a lot of things to try, but all are shots in the dark without a proper diagnosis.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a Physio. I had pain in my hip which I thought was muscular or it band, and I put off going for ages thinking that I could resolve it with the right stretching etc. Turns out I have a congenital deformity to my femur and acetabulum which required surgical intervention. If I had carried on as I was I would have completely destroyed the cartilage in the joint.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell from your description. If it's on the side of your thigh I'd say its your IT Band, but if its in the hip joint and glute it may be a sciatic nerve issue? There could be any number of causes and you'll probably need a pro to help sort it out (could be bad shoes, running style/posture, muscle imbalance, lack of stretching/warming up...).

Good luck!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Not sure what you mean ?
    The issue occurs after around 10 minutes of running and then I do stop as running through the discomfort won't do me any good.

You said you can run and feel great for 10 minutes but after 10 minutes it starts to hurt.

So don't run for more than 10 minutes or even stop after 8 minutes before you have pain.

Perhaps you can VERY gradually increase your running time. Like increase your time 30 seconds each week or every other week.
  • rybo
    Options

Not sure what you mean ?

You said you can run and feel great for 10 minutes but after 10 minutes it starts to hurt.

So don't run for more than 10 minutes or even stop after 8 minutes before you have pain.

Perhaps you can VERY gradually increase your running time. Like increase your time 30 seconds each week or every other week.

This does nothing to fix the underlying cause of his pain. Horrible advice
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Not sure what you mean ?

It might, if it's just maladaptation to running.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    What I did to avoid shin splints was to go to my local running store. The sales person watched me jog up and down the sidewalk outside the store in five different pairs of shoes. He was able to see that two of the pairs improved my gait. I bought a pair. No shin or knee pain. Old poor fitting shoes don't do you any favors. I was 57 years old when I started jogging this past summer, so I can attest that this approach even helps geezers.

My experience is that pain that radiates into my buttocks is a lower back injury. I can't speak to thigh pain, but a friend of mine said his issue was his IT band.
  • rybo
    Options

Not sure what you mean ?

But they have already been running for 5 months, and once the problem started it wasn't cured with a lot of rest. A too much too soon issue likely wouldn't have presented this way.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My experience is that pain that radiates into my buttocks is a lower back injury. I can't speak to thigh pain, but a friend of mine said his issue was his IT band.

My physio spent a lot of time checking my back when I saw her for my glute.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Could be sciatica, could be piriformis, or could be something completely different. It would be worth getting it checked out before you cause yourself further damage.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Not sure what you mean ?

But they have already been running for 5 months, and once the problem started it wasn't cured with a lot of rest. A too much too soon issue likely wouldn't have presented this way.

Except every time he comes back from rest he jumps right back into running 10 minutes. Instead of easing into the running 30 or 45 or 60 seconds at a stretch.