Spaghetti

Options
2»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding wheat? "Because some hokey book told me so" isn't a very good reason.

That being said, I do love spaghetti squash.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    if you are avoiding wheat because you want to lower your carbs as a way to control your calories then fair enough. I found a really nice edamame bean spaghetti in Aldi that I enjoy. But low carb isn't the only way to go for calorie control.

If, like my sister, you have a wheat intolerance that's a different matter.
  • Kirstenmonicaflood
    Options
    Like many others have suggested on here corgetti spaghetti (or zuccini as Americans call it). I didn't think I'd like it and that it wouldn't fill me up, but I really do and it's a good way of getting more veg in my diet.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Do you have an intolerance to wheat? that is the only reason you should avoid it if so.
    Enjoy it, I weigh it and find 50-75g dried spaghetti is a good portion size when cooked. (and doesn't eat too much into my cals either)
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten pasta in years and don't miss it but my husband does. I've been making him chickpea pasta and red lentil pasta and he enjoys it.
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti is a weekly must at my house. If my calories allow for it I will make whole wheat pasta. If I don't have room for it I will cook a spaghetti squash or make zucchini noodles with my spiralizer.

If it's a meal you love then go for it. Unless you have a health problem that prevents you from eating wheat I see no reason to cut it out.
  • whodeany1
    whodeany1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts, I do read or listen to a lot of books. It's not like I have gone off the deep end, it's what I do to stay motivated...a little of this and a little of that each day, and before you know it, you have a lot of information. Diet books are very interesting to me, especially the ones that compare the same studies and they drag the conclusions to their advantage.

As to the spaghetti, it's just too easy to eat a lot of, and it's easy to get in the rut of eating the same things. So having an alternative now and then, using some variety in life, and having a healthful effect is always good. I found that on the most part wheat does not make me a happy person...and although I probably don't have a disease that prevents me from eating it, I have found that all my systems function far better without it. However, I am not going to dive off the deep end and eat a pizza without real crust etc.

• abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti! I will never give up my wheat-laden noodles for zoodles or spaghetti squash, no sir! But, those are options if you want your spaghetti lower calorie, or if, like you said, wheat doesn't make your body happy. Pinterest has A MILLION AND TWO suggestions for wheat noodle replacements if you're really wanting to get some wheat-free spaghetti in your belly. There's also noodles out there made from chickpeas or lentils or other beans that are pretty good. I don't recommend the black bean noodles, but that's just my preference. Red lentil pasta is pretty good though!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I had green pasta with meatballs and beaucoup crushed red pepper tonight as a medical treatment.
    Dang if it didn't work, too. Anyway, that particular green pasta was advertised as 'super' something or other, but it wasn't. It was just wheat pasta colored green. Caveat emptor and bon appetit.

And then the next morning I checked in with a 2 lb loss.

This is not a promise. It's just an illustration that as a part of a calorie deficit, pasta is ok.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    whodeany1 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your posts, I do read or listen to a lot of books. It's not like I have gone off the deep end, it's what I do to stay motivated...a little of this and a little of that each day, and before you know it, you have a lot of information. Diet books are very interesting to me, especially the ones that compare the same studies and they drag the conclusions to their advantage.

As to the spaghetti, it's just too easy to eat a lot of, and it's easy to get in the rut of eating the same things. So having an alternative now and then, using some variety in life, and having a healthful effect is always good. I found that on the most part wheat does not make me a happy person...and although I probably don't have a disease that prevents me from eating it, I have found that all my systems function far better without it. However, I am not going to dive off the deep end and eat a pizza without real crust etc.

It is easy to eat a lot of which is why my wife and I make it a special occasion kinda thing...usually a date night out kind of thing if we choose to do Italian. We do pasta maybe once every 2-3 months I'd say.

You can go with the zoodles or spaghetti squash which we sometimes do as my wife makes a really killer red sauce...but don't go in thinking it's going to taste the same or have the same texture...it aint spaghetti, that's for sure...