Couch to 5k and carrying your phone

Options
Since I've shown very little improvement in running over the last couple months just running on my own, I've decided to give the Couch to 5k program a try.

Since I plan on using the app, my problem is I've never ran or exercised with my phone before, I've always just had a small mp3 player that I've used. But what do I do with my phone when I run? I can either run on the treadmill and put it in the cup holder, I don't always want to run on a treadmill though. I can just hold it in my hand but I'd be nervous about dropping it, or I can buy an arm band or running belt. I guess I'm leaning toward investing in a belt so then I might be able to bring a car key or clip a water bottle to it in the future.

Any experienced runners have any recommendations?

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap running belt. It holds a small water bottle too. I think it works great. Best of Luck with the C25K!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I did Couch to 5K this last summer. I just carried my phone in my hand, and never dropped it. I made sure my hand was kind of relaxed so my hand didn't get tired. I turned the volume up all the way so I could hear the voice prompts telling me when to run and when to jog. If I thought it might rain, I put my phone in a clear plastic sandwich baggie so it wouldn't get wet. That worked great, too!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've never got on with a band, but have had a couple of belts. Currently I have a cheap version of the Flip belt. My phone fits fine in there, and my door key. Leaves me handsfree. Definitely recommend a belt, and DEFINITELY recommend running outside over the dreadmill.

and come on over here for more advice from more experienced runners than me February 2018 Running Challenge
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For my phone. I keep it in my hand... I've got it in a case that will take a drop or two or twenty. Occasionally, I'll also run with a small assault pack with a bottle or two of water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    61SJRqo%2B1NL._SL1024_.jpg
  • StarryEyed0
    StarryEyed0 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use a arm band you can pick one up for around £10
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I did Couch to 5K this last summer. I just carried my phone in my hand, and never dropped it. I made sure my hand was kind of relaxed so my hand didn't get tired. I turned the volume up all the way so I could hear the voice prompts telling me when to run and when to jog. If I thought it might rain, I put my phone in a clear plastic sandwich baggie so it wouldn't get wet. That worked great, too!

I still haven't found wireless headphones that I like, so I got a Bluetooth adapter for my preferred wired headphones.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I carry a small water bottle that has a pouch for my phone. Water bottle straps to my hand.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R01043--Quick_Grip_Chill?color=8cc097d582dd4a09858cdad919ffd92a
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    61SJRqo%2B1NL._SL1024_.jpg

This didn't work for me. I have a large iphone 6 plus so it feels like it's bigger than my arm. I bought a cheap running belt from Ross.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

I still haven't found wireless headphones that I like, so I got a Bluetooth adapter for my preferred wired headphones.

That was my other problem, my Pixel2 doesn't have a headphone jack but I've got some bluetooth ones coming int he mail.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've tried pretty much everything. Holding it (Galaxy S7, bad idea), arm band (hated it) Flip Belt (not too bad).

Right now as it's cold here, my running coat has a good chest pocket I put it in. When it warms up I will sometimes use a riding shirt, and have it in the back pocket, or the flip belt. I prefer the riding shirt personally, but it will be too warm to wear it at times. But I can fit a water bottle in the flipbelt.

And headphones, I have 4 different bluetooth ones that I've tried. I have trouble keeping them in my ears. Even the Beats over the ear style fall out for me (wore them this weekend, but held in with a toque). Best ones for me are pretty cheap Headrush from The Source (Canada's Radio Shack). But they died on me so I am waiting to get them replaced (Ha. I bought the Warranty on them) after 3 months. They stay in no matter where I'm running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a belt for my phone and water bottles. I hate carrying anything when I'm running
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Flipbelt.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Running belt and Bluetooth headphones.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    For wireless headphones I use the Bose SoundSport Pulse and have liked them a lot. They have great sound quality and the built-in heart rate monitor is helpful.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I like the Running Buddy Pouch. It clips over your waistband and does not move at all. There is room for credit cards, ID, and a key. It has a headphone access hole too. You can google it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's sounding like a belt will work best for me, though I'll probably get teased from the wife for wearing a fanny pack.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    It's sounding like a belt will work best for me, though I'll probably get teased from the wife for wearing a fanny pack.

The Flipbelt is very streamlined. You don't even notice it if you are wearing a shirt that covers it. I just recently started running with my phone because I got Bluetooth headphones that would not work with my iPod Shuffle. I thought I would hate it, but it hasn't been so bad.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Spibelt.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I carry mine in my hand. I like having easy access to it, and would not want to be reaching around to get to it on my arm. Are there belts that allow you to still use the features on your phone without removing it?

I've never dropped my phone while running. I have an iPhone 6, so it's not huge.