1200 calorie day

MFP has determined my goal of calories in a day to be 1,200. Typically I'm still hungry after finishing 1,200 calories in a day and i want more... finding it hard to have complete, filling meals on just 1,200...

Anyway, what does your average day look like when you eat 1,200 calories? Any low calorie snacks you love? Or good meal sizes that will fit into your goal caloric intake for the day?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    maybe try reducing your deficit so you can eat more?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    If I had to eat 1200 calories, I wouldn't be wasting them on snacks. I'd limit myself to 2 decent sized meals a day, with a decent amount of protein, loads and loads of vegies (low calorie, non starchy options), and "edible fat" (stuff that contributes to the volume of my meal, not oils/butter - avo, nuts, salmon, seeds, whole egg etc)

But... 1200 cals long term sounds miserable, and probably unnecessary. Can you slow your rate of loss, or add exercise to earn extra calories?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2018
    No it didn't. 1200 is just as low as MFP will go. YOU picked a weightloss goal of 2 pounds per week. Try a less ambitious plan, and you'll probably get more calories.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    1200 is too low for me. *kitten*, even 1300 is too low. Agree that you should choose a less ambitious rate of loss. It might take longer, but you won't be miserable the whole time. What is your current and goal weight, and how much are you aiming to lose a week?
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    I'm a 4'8" female and I'm on 1200 and don't have an issue staying under my goal on average days (days I eat out are the exception and are more challenging).
    Most days I have half a cup of Walmart brand egg beaters with two tablespoons of cheddar cheese for breakfast. About two hours later I have a snack of either cottage cheese with Pineapple, Greek yogurt, or regular non-fat yogurt with a rice cake broken into it for texture. About an hour or two later I will have two boiled egg whites or one whole egg, a serving of beef jerky, or two pieces of turkey bacon. Then it's lunchtime and I have a sandwich on Nature's Own light bread which is 80 calories for 2 slices, and egg, tuna, or chicken salad made with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise with an apple cinnamon rice cake for dessert. After that I usually have a snack of veggies with Greek yogurt buttermilk ranch, some dry honeycomb cereal, skim milk, a plain rice cake with a tablespoon of peanut butter, or pirates Booty. For dinner I usually have 3 oz of meat, half a cup to a cup of veggies, and half a cup of either couscous or brown rice. I also have dessert which is sometimes a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich, Great Value no sugar added ice cream, or a 100-calorie Size Snickers or Twix.
    Hope this helps!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    kemoon0915 wrote: »
    I'm a 4'8" female and I'm on 1200 and don't have an issue staying under my goal on average days (days I eat out are the exception and are more challenging).
    Most days I have half a cup of Walmart brand egg beaters with two tablespoons of cheddar cheese for breakfast. About two hours later I have a snack of either cottage cheese with Pineapple, Greek yogurt, or regular non-fat yogurt with a rice cake broken into it for texture. About an hour or two later I will have two boiled egg whites or one whole egg, a serving of beef jerky, or two pieces of turkey bacon. Then it's lunchtime and I have a sandwich on Nature's Own light bread which is 80 calories for 2 slices, and egg, tuna, or chicken salad made with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise with an apple cinnamon rice cake for dessert. After that I usually have a snack of veggies with Greek yogurt buttermilk ranch, some dry honeycomb cereal, skim milk, a plain rice cake with a tablespoon of peanut butter, or pirates Booty. For dinner I usually have 3 oz of meat, half a cup to a cup of veggies, and half a cup of either couscous or brown rice. I also have dessert which is sometimes a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich, Great Value no sugar added ice cream, or a 100-calorie Size Snickers or Twix.
    Hope this helps!

I think it's really cool that you've been able to balance your volume needs with your calorie needs - I think that's where a lot of people struggle. I am a little more than a foot taller than you, so I suppose I've taken those extra calories for granted sometimes as I'm 5'10 and can lose on like 2,000 - 2,100 calories/day
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

And I agree with everyone else, switch to 1 lb per week instead of 2.
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    edited February 2018
    Acorsaut89
    Thanks, my twin brother is about 6'1" so I do carry a little bit of resentment towards him and how much he gets to eat compared to me!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    MFP has determined my goal of calories in a day to be 1,200. Typically I'm still hungry after finishing 1,200 calories in a day and i want more... finding it hard to have complete, filling meals on just 1,200...

Anyway, what does your average day look like when you eat 1,200 calories? Any low calorie snacks you love? Or good meal sizes that will fit into your goal caloric intake for the day?

It could be your weekly weight loss goal is a little aggressive. 1200 is for petite & sedentary, or elderly & sedentary. Most women can eat more and still lose weight.

Also keep in mind MFP gave you 1200 before exercise. If you plan on exercise, plan on more food.

That said, protein, fat & fiber are satiating components. You may have to tweak things a bit to find what works for you.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    What I would recommend is having a snack for breakfast and a snack for lunch, and leaving the bulk of your calories for dinner (or whatever order works best for you). That way you're feeling full in the evening and not feeling like you need to snack on stuff after dinner.

It also helps to eat a ton of veggies. They're low calorie, high fiber and fill you up. Ill have a gigantic plate of steamed veggies for lunch and dinner, with a little salt and whatever seasonings are appropriate. It makes me feel full, so I don't feel like I need to eat seconds of my entree dish (and old, bad habit of mine).
  • qandv9
    qandv9 Posts: 22 Member
    I have mine set for 1200, 2lbs a week. I workout 4-5 days a week so I usually use those extra calories. I usually eat 1-3 hard boiled eggs a day for snack or breakfast. My lunch is usually a salad with veggies and chicken, a soup or leftovers from dinner. Dinner varies depending on the day but is most often a meat & veg. Other snacks - natural peanut butter, cheese cubes, cashews, peanuts, cucumbers.
    For me it's easier to shoot for 1200 knowing that if I go over, I'm still well within Losing range just maybe not as aggressive as 2lbs a week. And i'm totally ok with that.
  • SarahJoy1982
    SarahJoy1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Cabbage soup is one of my go to's for filling up.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Glad you adjusted and are finding it easier!

I exercise pretty hard 5x a week (and spend weekends on my feet and/or riding), and while I need that for my racing, I sure do enjoy the extra food, too!!