What would YOU have done?

Options
dawn__westbury
dawn__westbury Posts: 46 Member
Long story short, townhouse walls are thin .. can hear neighbor being told by guy at her house he’ll throw her across the room... 4yr old son is screaming/crying NO NO NO MOMMY .. other things happening .. I confront them letting them know if it continues I’m calling the cops, it does so I do.... but of course “nothing” is wrong they both say... SMH, how do ignore it when there’s an innocent child involved!! Walk around the house with my beats on I guess!

Replies

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you can hear it, record it. Contact CPS (if in USA?).
  • dawn__westbury
    dawn__westbury Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wolfger wrote: »
    If you can hear it, record it. Contact CPS (if in USA?).

Yes US ... good idea. I’ve lived here 5 months and I’ve this guy maybe here once so hopefully he won’t be a regular!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    yeah record it. video and audio. if they are both adults then what can you do if they arent willing to leave or press charges. so forget about them.

Worry about the child. sounds like it could be a bad environment for a child.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    If you are going to get involved, always involve police so there is some type of documentation. You never want nothing to personally come back on you with no documentation to back you up.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Tricky situation. Not that it has anything to do with this, but I remember when I was about 8, the little girl from across the street came running over yelling that her Dad was beating her Mom. My Dad went over and pulled the husband off the wife and pushed him away. When he turned his back to the Wife, she took a leg off the broken coffee table and hit my Dad over the head with it.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    This same thing happened to me except there is no child involved. My husband was still asleep, so I went over and cop pounded on the the door for 5 minutes. No one ever answered the door, but he stopped beating on her. He obviously knows I've got my eye on him and I haven't heard anything since.

Going over there by myself was probably not my finest decision, but I couldn't just sit there and listen.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    CPS is a sticky situation. What if they hand the child over to an adoptive family but one of the new parents starts molesting the child? Sort of a gamble. I have a relative who has been extremely emotionally abusive to her children. I’ve confronted her more than once but she just explodes. Now I know that how she (often) treats her children isn’t right but at least there’s no sexual molestation happening from either of the parents. For that reason I leave the situation alone, though I’ve been tempted to report it to authorities. It eats me up to see what those kids have to go through.

There’s a proverb that says “he that passes by and meddles with strife belonging not to him is as one who takes a dog by the ears.”

You wouldn’t be walking down the street one day, see a random dog, and grab it by the ears because you may get bit. Though obviously there will be exceptions to this proverb, e.g. if you ever see a man beating a woman. Weigh the situation out if you have time.

This seems like an odd response.

You leave a child in a house with a physically or emotionally violent parent out of fear of a foster carerer or adoptive family might molest the child?

What are the chances of this? Is it incredibly high?

Isn’t this like letting someone burn, instead of pushing them in a pool, because they might drown? Immediate and real threat vs a potential threat?

Aren’t foster and adoptive parents screened and tested?

Your post also reminds me of a saying “evil prevails when good men do nothing".
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Report it to CPS - then Start looking for someplace else to live.