Increase Jumping height/distance

Options
Looking for suggestions to add into my cardio routine to help with forward jumping/leaping as well as lateral jumps. I do jump squats/crate jumps, lateral 'skater' jumps - I'm trying to increase my height/distance on skates so I need to buid strength off skates.

Thank you!

Replies

• tiefighther66
    tiefighther66 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Same goes for strength days, maybe specific exercises to help with those jumping muscles +++
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Back in jr. high and high school (gawd that was a long time ago), I was obsessed with my vertical (I high jumped and played, poorly, basketball). I ran a lot, but I really went after jump rope and a machine we called a "leaper". Basically, it was a squat machine with some sort of fly wheel dealio (it did not use plates like many today). In 9th grade I could get my wrist above the rim and dunk volleyballs with ease (maybe I was 6' at the time). So, if looking for that explosive leap, for me, it was a squat machine/leaper (very fast, perhaps a rep a second or so) and jumping rope. In fact, I'd like to get or build a leaper of some sort for my 9th grader as he is really starting to listen to his old dad and work on his vertical. Hope this helps.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Jump squats, clean and jerk, power cleans, snatches.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Improving squat strength has a direct relationship to VJ height, so improving squat strength will help jump height. Squat Jumps, broad jumps, depth jumps are good ways to work on that. However, don't do them cross-fit style; basically don't do them fast for time. Do good quality jumps and really focus on power rather than time is what I'm trying to say.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    ^he gets it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you're looking to increase your vertical height on skaters, use hurdles to jump over. Start with 6" and progress up. If you looking on forward leaping, that has a lot with technique on how you make the jump. Don't swing your arms downward on the jump. With athlete's that I have who play basketball/volleyball, I have them wear a weighted vest (up to 40lbs) when they practice jumps to help improve.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Plyometrics.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Quarter squats.
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    To be better at jumping, you have to...jump...
    Learn to focus on where you want to land, use the arms to gain momentum etc.
    What helped me most was jumping on one foot (don't know what it's called in english) and use arms and force to make the jumps really long.
    In my youth I had records of 3m40 vertical and 85cm horisontal without weights or strength training.
  • tiefighther66
    tiefighther66 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! I'm going to mix some of these in today.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »

Kettlebell swings
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »

Kettlebell swings

Kettlebell jumps too
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Plyometrics.

This. Keep up the weight work but you've got to practice the explosive movements. Skater jumps are great, as are one footed hops, squat jumps, and box jumps. As already mentioned, focus on form and power over speed.

Also, one footed squats and don't neglect your core.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Precisely, plyometrics.