Creative Veggie Recipes

Options
Khovde07
Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
I'm trying to introduce myself to more veggies and find yummy ways to eat them. So far I've been doing really well by roasting everything (yum!) and I've added sweet potatoes, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, brussel sprouts, and others to my diet. Roasting has been a great tool but I'm getting a little bored of just roasting some veggies and baking chicken or grilling some steak or pork chops. I've also been playing around with different seasoning and spices but I'm looking to change things up a bit. What are some fun ways you guys like to eat your veggies that makes them super delicious? Let's start a thread so we can come back and find great recipes for when we're in a veggie rut!

Also, I'm allergic to spinach so I don't need any recipes with that :)

Replies

• boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I cook zucchini noodles then throw in some cooked shrimp, mayo, and sweet chili sauce. It's super yummy and really low calorie!!
  • wmedwards12
    wmedwards12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash, is great with spaghetti sauce and also very low in calories.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Some things that I enjoy include making fritters out of the vegetables (zucchini fritters, asparagus fritters, etc.), using them in vegetable purees or creamy soups, making vegetable curries, adding them to sauces and chili, making dumplings or spring rolls with them, and sauteeing them for fajitas or tacos.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    bake some cauliflower and then toss in franks hot sauce pepper and salt... there is never leftovers of this at my place and i use the whole head.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Stir Fry Stir Fry Stir Fry! I love taking a bunch of veggies and cooking them tender-crisp and adding on a delicious sauce. You can go with Teriyaki, Hoisin, Sweet/Sour, Ponzu, or any other flavor profile.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Stir Fry Stir Fry Stir Fry! I love taking a bunch of veggies and cooking them tender-crisp and adding on a delicious sauce. You can go with Teriyaki, Hoisin, Sweet/Sour, Ponzu, or any other flavor profile.

That's a good idea! I always forget about stir fry. Do you have a sauce or sauce recipe you like that's a bit lower in sodium?
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I personally like to use the low sodium soy sauce, but you can also use Tamari (lower than soy sauce) or Coconut Aminos (lower than Tamari).

For these two, whisk together all ingredients. Heat on stove on medium heat until it starts to thicken. Then add to veggies. These make enough for about 4 servings of veggies. Don't forget to add sriracha!

Sweet & Spicy Sauce:

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp sesame oil
    2 tbsp maple syrup
    1 tbsp samba oelek
    1 tbsp hoisin
    1 tbsp corn starch

Ponzu Sauce:

1 tsp ground ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp light agave
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tbsp ponzu sauce
    1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp corn starch

This one you just whisk together - no need to heat unless your peanut butter is too thick, in which you can heat it to help melt it. Add water a tablespoon at a time if it's too thick.

Spicy Peanut Sauce:

1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tbsp water
    2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Toss the roasted veggies into a soup pot with some sautéed onions or leeks, add broth and a can of coconut milk. Season and blend up into a soup!
  • Willij2
    Willij2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love roasting veggies too, but it can get boring after a while. One of my favorites is chili powder. I use tons of it and often mix it with garlic powder, curry, and a bit of cayenne and nutmeg. Don't be afraid to get creative. If you're not sure, toss a smaller portion of the total veggies you're planning to roast in the new spices and separate on your roasting pan.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    I've been grilling salads lately. Cook a halved radicchio, romaine or baby gem, cut side down, on a hot cast iron griddle pan until charred. Dot a little ranch or blue cheese dressing on. Or alternatively sprinkle a little salty cheese on the cut side and melt under the grill in the oven. With the cheese option a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar is nice.

Sautee leafy greens such as spinach, kale, diced cabbage with garlic in a little butter.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Three-cheese eggplant and spinach "lasagna"
    Makes: eight servings

INGREDIENTS
    4 eggplants
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 ½ lbs frozen spinach
    12 eggs
    2 cups tomato sauce
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 cups feta
    1 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slice eggplant lengthwise into long planks, 1/2-inch thick, discarding the two outermost planks (with the most skin). Brush with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and cook 20 minutes.
    Defrost spinach and squeeze out excess liquid.
    While eggplant cooks, crack eggs into a bowl. Whisk until even in color, seasoning with salt and pepper. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add half the egg mixture. Swirl the pan until the eggs set in a thin layer. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining egg mixture.
    When eggplant is done, spread some of the tomato sauce in 2 9x13 baking dish. Top with even layers of eggplant, shredded mozzarella, spinach, feta and egg. Repeat, ending with tomato sauce. Top with grated parmesan and bake 20 to 30 minutes, until eggplant is tender.
    Cut into servings and enjoy! Refrigerate or freeze leftovers for future dinners.

Calories: 461
    Carbs: 24g
    Net Carbs: 13g
    Fiber: 11g
    Sugar: 14g
    Sodium: 930mg
    Fat: 29g
    Sat. Fat: 14g
    Protein: 32g