Couch to 5k and carrying your phone

Options
2»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I carry mine in my hand. I like having easy access to it, and would not want to be reaching around to get to it on my arm. Are there belts that allow you to still use the features on your phone without removing it?

I've never dropped my phone while running. I have an iPhone 6, so it's not huge.

I guess my question is what features are you looking at using while you run? I get my music going and put it away until the end of my run. But I also have a watch for my tracking.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    It's sounding like a belt will work best for me, though I'll probably get teased from the wife for wearing a fanny pack.

The Flipbelt is very streamlined. You don't even notice it if you are wearing a shirt that covers it...

^ This. My running belt goes around my waist under my shirt and you can't even tell it's there. A running belt and a fanny pack/bum bag are two different things.
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like a running belt, I have a cheapish one from Walmart, or with it in my hand. When I DO get the urge to run, that is. I put the belt under my shirt so it's unseen and out of the way. I never could get an arm band to stay up and in place on my arm, especially with increasingly larger phones.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I generally just carry my phone in my hand. You'll get used to it pretty quickly - it's not bad at all and I actually like it better than the armband (too fussy to adjust, can slide down your arm while you run).

I've run hundreds of miles carrying my phone and never even came close to dropping it.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I have a belt, but I don't like it. So I carry my phone in my hand and my keys in my bra.
  • sunnycloud82
    sunnycloud82 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used an arm band for a long time but didn't like how it felt. I bought a Flip Belt and LOVE it. Can't recommend it enough. Good luck!
  • AlainaKayy
    AlainaKayy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Is there a store that sells the flipbelt? Or do you have to buy directly from the website?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I got an armband and it kept rubbing holes in my arm so I just carry my phone now.

I'm training for an ultra at the moment and have a belt for my bottle and stuff, but still just carry my phone so I can skip through podcasts etc easily. I'm so used to it now. Haven't dropped it yet, did 36km on Sunday up and down gravelly hills just fine.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AlainaKayy wrote: »
    Is there a store that sells the flipbelt? Or do you have to buy directly from the website?

Amazon.

I bought mine at Sportcheck (Canadian store) but had to get the water bottles online.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    AlainaKayy wrote: »

Amazon.

I bought mine at Sportcheck (Canadian store) but had to get the water bottles online.

I got mine at REI, but Amazon is probably cheaper. The water bottle is a nice suggestion too. I have the 11 ounce bottle and while I only use it for long runs, it’s very nice to have when I do need it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I got a SPIbelt and some bluetooth headphones and they seem to work well enough so far. It was a little awkward at first but I'm getting used to it. My only complaint is now I get distracted by phone calls and texts while I'm at the gym now. Usually either wife or work so I worry it is something important.