White rice

Options
Planning to meal prep this week and I forgot to pick up brown rice and all I have in the house is white rice. Is it that evil? I keep hearing people saying white rice isn't good for weight loss. I plan to only use the serving size of 1/4 cup which is 160 calories for each of my meal containers

Replies

• ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I tend to only eat white rice because it plays better with my rice cooker. I haven't noticed any issues with my weight loss journey.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Just heard too many opinions from people about white rice being bad
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    They are both a carbohydrate source. They each have their own benefits and drawbacks. This is a pretty good article on their differences. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/brown-vs-white-rice#section2
  • digidoomed
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    digidoomed wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Just heard too many opinions from people about white rice being bad

The internet is a great thing - but the one downside is that there are too many people out there writing too many stupid things. White rice being "bad" is one of those.

Don't think of any individual food as being "good" or "bad" in and of itself. Instead, consider the overall context of your diet and where that individual food fits in it. One donut is not "bad". A diet consisting mostly or entirely of donuts, to the point where they crowd out other important micro and macronutrients, is "bad".

Thank you! That's a good way to think about it
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Everyone has an opinion, doesn't mean they're right! There are so many food myths floating around.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh eat the white rice, pile the soya on and open the bottle of red. and relax. and open the second bottle of red too.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    White rice has less arsenic than brown rice. Apparently the arsenic takes up most in the brown parts- the bran and germ. Also, if you want to remove more arsenic, soak your rice overnight and rinse it before cooking.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    White rice has less arsenic than brown rice. Apparently the arsenic takes up most in the brown parts- the bran and germ. Also, if you want to remove more arsenic, soak your rice overnight and rinse it before cooking.

It depends entirely on where the brown rice is grown. Lundberg farms for example has less arsenic in its aromatic than the average white rice.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup of raw rice is about 1/2 cooked and to be honest, is 1/2 a cup of rice even eating? I've found a medium size russette potato to be not just lower in calories but more filling with more nutrients (vitamin c and potassium).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Planning to meal prep this week and I forgot to pick up brown rice and all I have in the house is white rice. Is it that evil? I keep hearing people saying white rice isn't good for weight loss. I plan to only use the serving size of 1/4 cup which is 160 calories for each of my meal containers

Just remembered that the healthiest and longest living people have a diet high in white rice. Eat the onw you enjoy.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I believe brown rice may have a miniscule amount more fiber (like maybe 1/2 a gram if even). For practical nutritional purposes, they are pretty much identical.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup of raw rice is about 1/2 cooked and to be honest, is 1/2 a cup of rice even eating? I've found a medium size russette potato to be not just lower in calories but more filling with more nutrients (vitamin c and potassium).

Why limit it to 1/2 cup? At about 1.5 calories per gram cooked, it's pretty easy to fit a decently sized portion of rice into a meal.

Also, brown vs. white rice differences are negligible for real world applications. Don't bother with brown rice if you actually prefer white.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    dpa27ldz9ta5.jpg
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Why limit it to 1/2 cup? At about 1.5 calories per gram cooked, it's pretty easy to fit a decently sized portion of rice into a meal.

Also, brown vs. white rice differences are negligible for real world applications. Don't bother with brown rice if you actually prefer white.

1/2 cup is what the op aims for on the meal prep, a cup is about 300 calories which is still small, the average rice eater eats about a bowlful, personally I want more out of 300 calories so I've refrain from eating rice, it's a stable food where I'm from.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

OP is female. Unless very active or very tall, it is not strange for her to not want to blow hundreds of calories in 1 meal on just carbs. (That being said, as someone who doesn't need many extra filler calories, I generally don't bother to ever make rice. 100 calories of rice is a pretty sad little pile).
  • digidoomed
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

OP is female. Unless very active or very tall, it is not strange for her to not want to blow hundreds of calories in 1 meal on just carbs. (That being said, as someone who doesn't need many extra filler calories, I generally don't bother to ever make rice. 100 calories of rice is a pretty sad little pile).
    ritzvin wrote: »

I'm just using the rice to be a side of my main meal. I don't even eat that much rice when I do eat it, so the small portion doesn't seem too sad to me