Eating back exercise calories?

Options
So my daily calorie goal is about 1300 or so, and I try to exercise enough to burn about 300 calories a day. Do I eat them back? I’ve heard so many mixed things and I don’t know what to do tbh. I just want to make sure I’m doing this right so all the weight doesn’t come back on when I reach my goal and eat more to maintain my weight

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If you are logging accurately, yes. You should eat a portion back. Perhaps not all of them as calorie estimates are usually high.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal MFP gives you does NOT include any exercise. It is so you can lose weight at your selected rate of loss if you don't workout. If you workout, then to maintain the deficit you selected ,and so it doesn't become to large of a deficit you, you have to eat at least a portion of your exercise calories back.

Most people start with eating around 50% back and then adjust based on actual results after 4-6 weeks. Losing more than planned (or more than a safe deficit would create), eat more. Losing less than planned, double check logs for accuracy and eat less. Losing as expected, keep it up.
  • upbeatbirdie
    upbeatbirdie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been steadily losing about 5 lbs/ month and I eat back most of my Calories burned in exercise. People often underestimate portions of food and overestimate activities, so leave some leeway and don't eat them all back.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and my goal is a net zero in CICO.

However, the way I look at it, I don't eat "back" exercise cals. I exercise and burn cals so that I can eat more. A subtle difference in perspective but a difference none the less.

On the other hand, if you are trying to lose weight, the fewer you eat back, the more likely it will be that you'll lose weight.

The approach you take just depends on your objective(s).