Sushi for dinner. What do you suggest?

Options
hey you all I am going out to eat with my family tonight. Of course they chose sushi. What do you suggest I get there?

Replies

• hellobikini
    Options
    Anything that doesn't have rice, or is fried.
    I get miso soup and edamame and sea weed salad when I am being good.
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Sushi is a good choice! If you're trying to avoid calorie bombs watch out for anything that's "tempura fried" or has "wasabi mayo."
  • rmjj5
    rmjj5 Posts: 55
    Options
    Sushi is really good, just stay away from the ones with the spicy mayo all over them and of course anything in tempura batter.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Spicy Tuna roll, avocado rolls. Total should be less than 500 calories.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    California rolls are always a good choice. The restaurant I go to also makes volcano rolls. They're a Cali roll with a crab meat mixture on top of them. I *love* them. I usually eat a full Cali roll and 1/2 a volcano roll and by then I am full! :) You could also get some edamame. Edamama is my most favorite thing at a sushi restaurant!
  • MColette
    MColette Posts: 62
    Options
    Sashimi Salad, it's so yummy, high protein, low calorie, can't go wrong with that one!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    nigiri has less calories than rolls (less rice, more fish). You can look them up per piece on MFP with a fair amount of accuracy.
    Dont get anything fried and try to skip spicy mayo or creamy dipping sauces, do get some miso soup if you like that.

I usually stay simple when I eat sushi. Many of those special crazy rolls with 6 different things in them are calorie bombs.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    A big plate of Sashimi of course. Go easy on the rice, or see if they have brown rice.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Sashimi! Yum. Not going to lie, I'm a little jealous right now!
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    If you are ok with eating the raw stuff, I always get Sashimi. It's raw fish by itself with rice on the side. That way you can eat a small portion of rice and get tons of protein. Another option is to see they will give you the teriyaki salmon or chicken with the sauce on the side and again control your rice intake.
  • Allyc804
    Allyc804 Posts: 54
    Options
    Go for California rolls or things that arent fried or have "spicy mayo" on them. They rack up the calories! Get a big salad with the ginger dressing before you eat sushi. Helps you feel full!
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    Most sushi places have it where you can have the wrap wrapped in cucumber instead of rice... it's a little bit extra but super yummy.... stay away from soy sauce (tons of sodium) you can alternate rice vinegar, the first couple times I asked for it they looked at me weird lol... but I either do it or my local chef has a creamy wasabi sauce he makes himself that is really yummy low in fat, sodium and carbs.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    ooooh sushi! Maybe I will have sushi for dinner. In general it is super good for you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    hey you all I am going out to eat with my family tonight. Of course they chose sushi. What do you suggest I get there?
    Eat sashimi, or just cut the rice in half. Use the lighter soy sauce. No tempura.
  • Bella7810
    Options
    Sashimi is great (no rice) and, like everyone has said, nothing tempura or containing cream cheese. This can easily pack on an additional 500 calories or more in a single roll. Yikes! I'd recommend staying away from soy sauce as well simply due to the incredible sodium content. If you use soy sauce, make sure it's on the side and just barely touch the food to the top of the soy so you can get some flavor without getting the salt. If you get a roll, try to get one that uses brown rice instead of white.

Edamame (unsalted) is awesome for protein and so is avocado. Avocado gets such a bad rap for being fatty but this terrific fruit actually contains monounsaturated fats and more vitamins and antioxidants than the more common fruits. As with the other foods, just don't get it covered with sauce or wasabi mayo. This defeats the purpose. Some of the healthiest types of fish are: mackeral, halibut, yellowtail and salmon.

I love sushi and my fiance and me have it at least once a week. I've tried just about everything. Sashimi is my favorite though. Your body will thank you for the meal. Hope you have a great dinner!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ebi Sunumono Salad
    Tuna Sashimi
    Edamame

:)
  • boopiejones
    Options
    edamame, toro, maguro and amaebi.... with the fried heads. yum!