Body after baby

Options
I’m 4 weeks postpartum, any new moms out there have any tips and tricks that will help me get back to my pregnancy weight a little easier than hitting the gym all week

Replies

• DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new baby! A couple of things: Wait to exercise until you get the go ahead from your doctor. You want to make sure you're healed first. As far as losing the weight, it really comes down to a calorie deficit. If you aren't breastfeeding, put your stats into MFP, select a modest weekly loss, and see what it gives you. Be easy on yourself as well. I know the body changes after pregnancy can be a hard thing to process, but the weight didn't come on overnight and you won't lose it overnight either. You're going to lose fluids, blood, and all sorts of other fun stuff that you accumulated over your pregnancy at first and that can take a few weeks, and then you'll have a more accurate picture of what's left as fat stores. If you're breastfeeding, set MFP to maintenance and eat all of your calories. You don't want to eat at a deficit while breastfeeding. Your nursing baby will act as the deficit and will use up those fat stores you gained during pregnancy to make milk. I'm nursing a 9 month old and I lose about a pound a week on average this way.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding it can mess with you and make you more prone to getting hurt. So, ease into it. Don't just try and work out as hard and intense as before the baby. Listen to your body, when you are ready to do more you will know it. But if you do too much too soon, you may get hurt and then not have a choice.