New vegan

Options
Hi!!! I’m trying to transition into raw vegan and curious about the vitamins/ minerals? Do you all take any supplements? Vegan Protein powders? What are your favorite vegan meals? Thanks!!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    When you say you're a "new vegan", what were you previously? I personally wouldn't go in to raw vegan, especially if you're only new to a vegan diet - being vegan is nutrionally challenging as it is, without extra restrictions of a raw diet!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Nope to raw veganism, it's a slippery slope to being deficient in vitamins plus a lot see their weight rise dramatically. You have to eat huge portions constantly, it's not natural. There is no where near enough protein in this way of eating.

I'm a wholefood vegan lifter and have to watch iron intake especially as it can decline quite easily. I'm thriving, putting on weight and muscle so it can be done.

I use Pea protein powder twice a day in a berry smoothie to hide the taste as it's got amazing protein content.

Seasoned steamed sweet potato, homemade tofu spread, cherry tomatoes, greens and a mixed bean salad for lunch most days with the smoothie after lifting in the gym is life!!
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Before you go raw vegan try raw till 4
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'm not raw vegan (I eat cooked), but I take B12, DHA, and D3 supplements. I recommend http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs as a good evidence based source for supplements you may want to consider, and why.

If you're fully raw, some additional aspects of your diet will require care. In particular, the amino acid lysine can be somewhat challenging without legumes (you can sprout beans, though, which I'd recommend if you really want to go down the raw path in an evidence based sort of way).
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm not raw vegan as I eat cooked food, but the only supplement I personally need is Iron (which I benefited from even as a meat eater in the past), so I either take that or a general multivit to be sure. B12 is a good recommendation for the general population, but I've tracked my intake and I'm fine on that, so it depends on what exactly you're eating as to what you'll need.

I recommend tracking on chronometer or similar for a while if you are set on going raw as it's really helpful for all the micronutrients, vitamins, minerals etc so you'll be able to really see what you are and aren't getting through your diet.

I don't take protein powders, I hit my target goal through food. My favourite meals are all cooked stuff (roast dinners, curries, vegan mac and cheese etc) Otherwise it'd probably be salted cashews or peanuts, citrus fruits and bananas.
  • anniemistak123
    anniemistak123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I used to be vegan but now I am vegetarian. The only vitamin you need to supplement is B12. I take a multivitamin just to cover my bases. Also keep track of protein and micro nutrients. I find myself protein deficient. In that case I would alter your diet for more beans/rice, lentils, etc. or take a protein supplement.
  • breathefire
    breathefire Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hey i would love some vegan or vegetarian friends on here :) add me!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about ten years now. I've always taken B12 -- this is a key one because vegans need to either supplement it or get it from fortified foods. I also supplement vitamin D because like many (including non-vegans), blood tests have shown that I was low in it. I take a vegan DHA supplement and I also take iodine (because I use sea salt at home and I don't regularly eat sea vegetables).

I sometimes use vegan protein powder -- I use a plain brown rice protein powder for baking and I add it to cold brew coffee.

My favorite vegan meals are any kind of beans, vegetable stir-fry, pasta with sauce and vegetables, anything Mexican, sandwiches (especially seitan sandwiches), and mashed potatoes with chickpea gravy. Probably lots of other things too, that's just off the top of my head.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    Before you go raw vegan try raw till 4

Just watch any Youtubers on why they gave up on RT4...
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ohsheglows.com for amazing recipes (she has an app, too). I take a. B-12 and D supplement
  • breathefire
    breathefire Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    also to answer your question, i dont take supplement but i make sure to have fortified almond or soy milk everyday instead of taking supplements for B12 and D.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why vegan?

Why raw?