Slimvance

Options
Has anyone tried Slimvance? I am thinking about it

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    It's certainly your decision to throw away your money.

The way to lose weight is to eat a little less than your body needs consistently and over TIME you lose weight.

Not an expensive GNC supplement. If it actually worked, everyone would know about it, and as it is - they have a fancy website and good salespeople in the stores. Over-priced supplements. Good luck.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Looks like another company peddling a pill that does nothing for weight loss and taking the credit for the calorie deficit created by the food and exercise plan it has attached to it (the thing that actually causes the weight loss).

Save your money, use MFP as intended and lose weight for free!

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's certainly your decision to throw away your money.

The way to lose weight is to eat a little less than your body needs consistently and over TIME you lose weight.

Not an expensive GNC supplement. If it actually worked, everyone would know about it, and as it is - they have a fancy website and good salespeople in the stores. Over-priced supplements. Good luck.

Agree 100%. Everyone wants a quick fix, but quick fixes are often expensive and mostly placebo or just a wackload of caffeine.

If you want to spend some money, buy a digital kitchen scale. Then start tracking your calorie intake as accurately as possible (weigh all your solid foods on the scale and liquids with measuring cups). Stick to a calorie deficit, accurately log, and you will lose weight.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    The active ingredients are?
    Turmeric, Moringa and Curry Leaves are the active ingredients.

:lol:
  • cmriverside
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So, here's the thing with the active ingredients. The Medicinal Herbal (Penelope Cody) tells me they are anti-inflammatory, and so does the google :wink:. Which is good. It would help with underlying inflammation.

Which shows up on the scale as water weight.

So it is possible that with enough anti-inflammatory there *could* be a discernible water weight loss on the scale.

That's not fat loss. Just so we're clear.

I'd just prefer a night out at the neighborhood curry/Indian restaurant.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    So, here's the thing with the active ingredients. The Medicinal Herbal (Penelope Cody) tells me they are anti-inflammatory, and so does the google :wink:. Which is good. It would help with underlying inflammation.

Which shows up on the scale as water weight.

So it is possible that with enough anti-inflammatory there *could* be a discernible water weight loss on the scale.

That's not fat loss. Just so we're clear.

And probably just cheaper to buy some turmeric at the supermarket
  • SandDodds96
    SandDodds96 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ferrell3 wrote: »

I’ve been on it for the last week and a half. So far, I’ve felt hungrier but the need to not eat as much in regards to junk. The best of metabolisms does not run in the family.

But it has to be treated as a supplement with a better diet and exercise.

Hope this helps.

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Ferrell3 wrote: »

I’ve been on it for the last week and a half. So far, I’ve felt hungrier but the need to not eat as much in regards to junk. The best of metabolisms does not run in the family.

But it has to be treated as a supplement with a better diet and exercise.

Hope this helps.

A supplement for what exactly, what do you think it does?

The diet and the exercise are what causes fat loss.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As another note...

The main anti-inflammatory chemical compound in turmeric called "curcumin" has very poor absorption in humans, and requires the black pepper compound "piperine" to greatly increase absorption.

So if you're buying a supplement with only turmeric/curcumin, it ain't gonna do much without added piperine.
  • cmriverside
    edited February 2018
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Small print from the GNC site: "Results reflect findings of a clinical study where participants took Slimvance and followed the Slimvance 1800 calorie diet and exercise plan. Individual results may vary."

Cost per month of Slimvance plus their 1800 calorie diet: $59.99
    Cost per month of doing an 1800 calorie diet on MFP: $0.00

Seems like a no brainer to me. :D

...it was a study of 140 people. Seems there was an 11 pound weight loss difference (or so) between the control groups.

I don't have access to this alleged "study" - but the questions I would ask are 1.) how did the researchers know how many calories were being consumed by both groups? Is this self-reporting or were the subjects locked down and given the exact same foods? 2.) Did the participants all start at the same BF% and same gender? 3.) What kind of exercise and how was it measured? 4.) What did the participants do for the rest of the day? Did they work? Go to school? Sit on the couch?

So many variables, so easy to skew results - and no way for us to know, since the "study" isn't linked on the GNC page about Slimvance.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Small print from the GNC site: "Results reflect findings of a clinical study where participants took Slimvance and followed the Slimvance 1800 calorie diet and exercise plan. Individual results may vary."

If I consume 1800 calories daily even with exercise, I'd gain weight!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    W8WarI wrote: »

I lose on 1800, maintain on ~2300.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    W8WarI wrote: »

They have more than one plan.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @Ferrell3 - Seriously, buy a food scale instead. Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1