walking/running

Options
I've been enjoying daily walks during my lunch break. Today I had great energy and started jogging. This is hard to explain- I feel like I could do it, breathing wise, and energy wise, but my body being as heavy as it is just made it feel awful! I just want to be able to run and feel "light" on my feet like I used to. *sigh*

Does anyone remember going through this as they were losing weight? Or remember when it seemed to get better?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    This makes perfect sense to me. If you haven't run in a long time, then running for even a minute can be a big challenge. The hardest run I've ever done was the first minute of the first day of C25K.

The good news is that it does get better with training. Weight loss helps too, but if you want to run, then you need a running program. I started running when I was 100 pounds heavier than I am now. I'm sure that losing weight helped make me a better runner, but I think the most important thing that made me a better runner was just keeping up a training plan.

Since it sounds like it's been a while since you've run, if you're interested in taking it up again, then I'd highly recommend getting fitted for some new running shoes and starting a C25K program. Be patient with yourself; it might take some time, but it'll get better.
  • apullum
    Options
    C25K.

I started it Jan 2017 when I was 51 and 275 lbs (I'm a guy).

I'm now 210 and did 10K on Sunday, looking at doing a 1/2 marathon this year. Also still have weight to lose, but it's not stopping me from running.

Get proper shoes from a running store that does a gait analysis, and slowly ramp up your jogging.

I also did a 10k on Sunday! I hope yours went as nicely as mine did :) Was it your first race at that distance? If you're running a 10k, then you're probably in a good place to start half marathon training.

I lost all of my weight while running. I can't say enough about how good it's been for both my physical and mental health.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    C25K.

I'm now 210 and did 10K on Sunday, looking at doing a 1/2 marathon this year. Also still have weight to lose, but it's not stopping me from running.

Get proper shoes from a running store that does a gait analysis, and slowly ramp up your jogging.

I also did a 10k on Sunday! I hope yours went as nicely as mine did :) Was it your first race at that distance? If you're running a 10k, then you're probably in a good place to start half marathon training.

I lost all of my weight while running. I can't say enough about how good it's been for both my physical and mental health.

I've done a couple of 10's and do 5K parkrun most Saturdays. Mine was frikken cold. About -13C to start. Beard got icicled up by the end.

OP, it does get better. Just don't push it too hard. I could walk faster than I was running to start. But the big thing is to get shoes that give you the support you need.
  • apullum
    Options
    C25K.

I've done a couple of 10's and do 5K parkrun most Saturdays. Mine was frikken cold. About -13C to start. Beard got icicled up by the end.

OP, it does get better. Just don't push it too hard. I could walk faster than I was running to start. But the big thing is to get shoes that give you the support you need.

Holy ****. It was about 55F here (about +13C). That was slightly chilly for my area.

Also, OP--my first 5k time was just under 50 minutes. I finished this weekend's 10k in *almost* an hour (1:00:30, which is both wonderful and REALLY annoying). It definitely does get better.

And yes...get professionally fitted for shoes.
  • Jenniferakajacel311
    Options
    Kat, I get what you're saying. I have a desk job but fortunately I can stand and work, too. I usually walk 30 mins during my morning meeting at a brisk pace. I want to eventually work up to jogging in place. Congrats on taking those first steps! Jogging seems like it would be so freeing.
  • KatKateski
    KatKateski Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- i had kind of forgotten about c25k! Good idea.

Any advice re the shoe fitting? I did a bit of research before buying my current pair of new balance shoes. I overpronate horribly- always have- this led to 5 stress fractures in college-15yrs ago- that ended my bball career. Thise spots have been bugging me again recently since becoming more active. I digress. Argh.
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I completed c25k a couple of months back and found the same problem. My cardio health increased really quickly and found I had no problems with breath or stamina as I progressed, it was my legs that were the problem. They felt like dead weights! A couple of months on and 40lbs lighter from when I started I’m increasing my speed and my legs seem to be finally catching up with my stamina. Still have 40lbs to lose so I’m not exactly light yet either, my muscles have just got used to the running now. Slow, steady and consistent for me was the key.
  • KatKateski
    KatKateski Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    monica182 wrote: »
    I completed c25k a couple of months back and found the same problem. My cardio health increased really quickly and found I had no problems with breath or stamina as I progressed, it was my legs that were the problem. They felt like dead weights! A couple of months on and 40lbs lighter from when I started I’m increasing my speed and my legs seem to be finally catching up with my stamina. Still have 40lbs to lose so I’m not exactly light yet either, my muscles have just got used to the running now. Slow, steady and consistent for me was the key.

Dead weights! Yes, thats it. And thank you!
  • apullum
    Options
    KatKateski wrote: »

Any advice re the shoe fitting? I did a bit of research before buying my current pair of new balance shoes. I overpronate horribly- always have- this led to 5 stress fractures in college-15yrs ago- that ended my bball career. Thise spots have been bugging me again recently since becoming more active. I digress. Argh.

There is nothing at all that can take the place of going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes by a professional. Online research doesn’t replace talking to someone who knows how to assess your old injuries and your gait. And any recommendations that other people give you for shoes are basically worthless, since running shoe needs are highly individual.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I've been obese all my life until the last couple of years. Last year I had a job at a place and walked during lunch for exercise. When my walk took me behind the building where no-one could see, I ran. That was fun. Damn, that was fun.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

There is nothing at all that can take the place of going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes by a professional. Online research doesn’t replace talking to someone who knows how to assess your old injuries and your gait. And any recommendations that other people give you for shoes are basically worthless, since running shoe needs are highly individual.

^^This
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

If you're within 75 miles of a fleet feet, make a day of it and go.

Yes, I'm serious, I'd drive an hour and a half or maybe more to get to a good, trusted, experienced shoe store.
  • parachute_hoot
    parachute_hoot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Once I got to the around a 42lbs loss, I felt really similar. I had so much more energy and the days I would walk home from work I felt like breaking into a jog, even when wearing heels! That is when I started the C25k programme - I worked myself up to running 5k and then participated in a weekly Parkrun event. I then joined two sports teams and that has lead me into doing zero exercise, to exercising 5-6 times per week.

I really encourage the C25K programme. It helps break you in and you can see the progress after a few weeks.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the easier it will get. And, for me, it made the weight come off that much quicker!

• MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are a must. I was walking/jogging 4+ miles a day and ended up with plantar fasciitis. Laser therapy helped a lot, podiatrist recommended New Balance 990s for me, and they are wonderful. I shoe shop at Road Runners & they've been great. Also, for women (if you have weight to lose) a well-fitting sports bra did *wonders* for making me feel better when jogging.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    monica182 wrote: »

weight training helps a lot with that..strengthens the quads and hamstrings a lot faster than just running does.