30 minute hit... anyone try?

Options
Has anyone tried and had success with 30 minute hit? Anything good or bad? Need some advice before maybe joining!

Replies

• MarieLoms
    MarieLoms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    30 minute hit the boxing/kicking boxing gym.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    MarieLoms wrote: »
    Has anyone tried and had success with 30 minute hit? Anything good or bad? Need some advice before maybe joining!

HIT or HIIT? What are they claiming as the benefits?

Fwiw 30 minutes of circuit training is a perfectly adequate session.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,564 Member
    Options
    I think you need to clarify a bit more, what you're doing and what you aim to achieve. I do about 15-45 minutes of interval training nearly every day and do see that my body is changing fairly rapidly. But I seem to be one of those women that do change rapidly, with regards to more muscles especially.
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @MarieLoms It looks like that is a Canadian gym chain and not very big (only two in all of Ontario) so I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a lot of feedback here. But it looks good to me, FWIW. :)
  • MarieLoms
    MarieLoms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah it’s 30 minutes of intervals, 2 mins per station and non stop. It seems good I just figured I’d reach out and see what others thought!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Thirty minutes of interval training or circuit training is plenty for an exercise program assuming you apply yourself. Thirty minutes of High Intensity Interval Training is pretty much impossible. HIIT is extremely draining and even very athletic individuals would find 30-minutes almost impossible. I am guessing what they call HIT is really interval training much like many people call any interval program that is 20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest Tabata even when they extend it beyond the 4 minute Tabata program and don't come close to the 170% of VO2 Max that Tabata used in his study for the work phase https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/1996/10000/Effects_of_moderate_intensity_endurance_and.18.aspx?sessionEnd=true

The other thing that needs to be asked is what are you asking if it works for? What do you want to achieve from it?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to one of the options offered at Planet Fitness (30 minute interval sessions) which I suspect they copied from another chain.

Interval training (not to be confused with HIIT) can be a very useful part in your fitness program, the good thing about these is that you set your own intensity level and can work progressively at your own pace.

Does the gym offer other services or just the circuit training? A well rounded workout program would include interval training, steady state cardio and strength training. I'd be reluctant to join a gym that didn't have all 3 available (my daughter disowned me for joining Planet Fitness as they don't have Olympic barbells, squat racks etc etc etc but it's close to my office, cheap & I just use the treadmills in bad weather like freezing rain)
  • lauraslow7
    lauraslow7 Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do metapwr which sounds very much like this 30seconds high intesity with 8 seconds gap. I love the class and after 2 classes I'm already feeling stronger and fitter (I do other excercise) you will find that 10 min is a warm up and 5 min cool down
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    MarieLoms wrote: »
    Yeah it’s 30 minutes of intervals, 2 mins per station and non stop. It seems good I just figured I’d reach out and see what others thought!

Sounds a lot like 9Round that we have here in the states.

For those curious, this is 9Rounds site:

https://www.9round.com/workout
  • Boxingbexter
    Boxingbexter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do one where you have about 35 stations, 40 seconds a station then your team mate does 40 seconds then move to next station. All different exercise. I love it and its fun as you always got someone to work with plus the class Instructor is walking about cheering you on and always great music.
  • samjdrake
    samjdrake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What would you record 30 minute hit as in your exercise log? Circuit training? High Intensity training?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    samjdrake wrote: »
    What would you record 30 minute hit as in your exercise log? Circuit training? High Intensity training?

Circuit training
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I did it about 4 years back, loved it. Mostly because I love kickboxing and due to shift work, can't make regularly scheduled classes...
  • LeanneJCooper
    LeanneJCooper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do two 1 hour long boot camps a week. 1 is a Hiit work out and hes done it boxing based with the hiit exercises. And the other 1 hour class is Metafiit. They are hard work but body changes are pretty quick and fitness gets better really quick due to the intensity. Me and my mate are hooked and do Joe wicks hiit work outs inbetween out boot camp classes or do 30 day shred x
  • Carry_That_Weight
    Carry_That_Weight Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I’ve had only good success with boxing/kickboxing gyms that run any kind of circuit training/conditioning class.

I’m going to one currently, and since starting 3 months ago, I’ve dropped 10 lbs, increased all of my main lifts (which was a big deal to me because I’m well out of the beginner-phase linear gains), and cut my 5k time down to 24:32. That last one I decided to try in February after a long winter of no running - and was a great surprise! Even training specifically for it the previous fall I was only able to get the sub-27:00 mark.

Sometimes the circuits do include HIIT, but most of the time it doesn’t cross that threshold. They’re 4 rounds of 10 exercises for 50 seconds with 10 seconds rest between, bookmarked between a warmup and then specific abs exercises and stretching. If your gym is anything like this then I highly recommend it.