I don't have much weight to lose but...

Options
lauraslow7
lauraslow7 Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi there, I'm looking for some help. I'm trying to gain muscle. I am female 33 8 stone 13 and 37% body fat. I eat in a calorie deficit and I'm losing 1lb a week, my bf has gone from 39.9% to 37.1% in a few weeks. At the moment I am not doing free weights, I do 3 classes a week body sculpt, kettlebell and metapwr.
I feel like I don't have much weight to lose I am already a size 8 but I do have a high body fat. Can anyone tell me if I'm starting this correctly? I'm worried that I'm going to be 8stone with still high body fat and have no weight to lose but not building muscle quick enough. Can someone please advise.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How are you measuring your body fat?

You aren't going to gain muscle in a calorie deficit. That doesn't mean you shouldn't still lift.
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2. I've had it measured by calipers and on a set of ibody scales at the gym both readings are the same. I thought you have to strip fat before you start building? So have to start in a deficit?
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    Also looking at my self I know I have high body fat, I have plenty on my back and around my stomach
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    That is a very high BF% for your weight and height. I started about the same weight and ~23% BF. You can afford to drop a few more pounds (but not a lot), but keep working out. It sounds like you are the perfect candidate to work on recomposition. Hit the weights hard doing a progressive lifting program while keeping a very slight deficit for now. Once you've lowered your BF to a healthier range, eat at maintenance and continue lifting. For years. Lift for life. Lift to improve your body composition, to improve your bone density, to improve your strength. You will see results. Just be patient.
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    I've checked picures on line and if what they show is right I'd say I'm at least 35% so I believe the tests and the guy in the gym wasn't suprised. while I may be small and petite there's a lot of fat there to move. Thanks I will have a look at starting weight training it's just so bloody cold to go in the garage lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lauraslow7 wrote: »
    I've checked picures on line and if what they show is right I'd say I'm at least 35% so I believe the tests and the guy in the gym wasn't suprised. while I may be small and petite there's a lot of fat there to move. Thanks I will have a look at starting weight training it's just so bloody cold to go in the garage lol

So start with a bodyweight routine indoors? That should work at least until the weather warms up.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

(Over the summer, save up for a portable heater for the garage ;) ).
  • lauraslow7
    Options
    Thanks, I have a portable heater just don't have the room for it lol