Tooth implant procedure - please help me understand.

Options
Hi- I was wondering if anyone could help me with sorting out an issue my mom is having with an extracted tooth. She went into a dental office apparently seeking an implant for her decaying tooth/root. The dental office made an impression and a temporary tooth or plate? for her - then referred her to a surgeon who would place the implant. I went with my parents to the surgeon's office where my dad questioned what he was paying around 3K for. He was assured that the implant would be done that day. After the surgery-- the staff came out and said that the Dr. was unable to put the screw in because there was not enough bone there. He did cut the tooth out and put a bone graft in. The Dr. also said he could not use the temporary that the dental office had made. Forward several months later, the dental office who made the first impression has thrown away what they had. I think my mom still has a plate with a tooth she still uses (which is not the permanent tooth that is still to be made). So now she was referred to a different dentist- one the surgeon recommends and he is supposed to make the crown- or tooth that goes on the implant (screw). The surgeon wants to take another 3D cat scan to ensure that the graft has built up enough to place the implant.

God bless you if you are still reading! My mom is very stressed out over the whole thing. Everything was not explained to her (or she didn't understand it when it was explained). Can anyone out there tell me how this type of process is supposed to go? Any potential problems with what I wrote above? Is the permanent tooth usually done by the surgeon in the same office? If she was told the implant would be done on the date she went in-- should she have to pay additional money for another 3D scan? Any advice from someone with experience- maybe even a dentist? - help!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    I went with my parents to the surgeon's office where my dad questioned what he was paying around 3K for.

First ... this is a weight loss forum.

Second ... I'd be questioning the 3K too. I was told mine would be 6K. I'd be questioning the quality of a 3K implant job.

• cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I had a single tooth implant several years ago. The entire procedure from start to finish took well over a year- and from what you have described - that was pretty much my process also. I don't remember what I paid in total - around $2,000 I think. But the procedure was done correctly, and although it was an uncomfortable, lengthy and frustrating process - I have never had any problems and don't even think about it anymore :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I think she should eat at maintenance to help with recovery when she has the procedure done...
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Since we're way off MFP topics, another thing to consider is having her go for a Bone densitometry, also called dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry or DEXA, screening to make sure that she's not also losing bone other places.

I am not suggesting that she get meds to increase bone density, but, it would be good to know how porous her bones are before she falls and shatters something.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I had a single tooth implant several years ago. The entire procedure from start to finish took well over a year- and from what you have described - that was pretty much my process also. I don't remember what I paid in total - around $2,000 I think. But the procedure was done correctly, and although it was an uncomfortable, lengthy and frustrating process - I have never had any problems and don't even think about it anymore :)

A friend had an implant done and it was a similar lengthy process requiring a bone graft.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle this procedure. it takes at least a year and is expensive but worth it. Message me, I'm not sure how long your OP will stay up. I can answer more questions, if need be. Hugs to mom.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm almost done with a single tooth implant. The bad tooth was pulled last year and the implant screw was placed in my jaw, then I waited several months for the bone to grow around it. After the bone had formed I had impressions done and a will be going in next week to get the tooth put in. After my insurance I ended up paying $2000
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    me0321 and Tiny_Dancer- thank you for your support. Yes me0321 that is helpful to hear. Thanks for the other reassurances and informative posts too; every little bit of info helps.

I thought about posting this in Chit/Chat- but, decided I would find more helpful answers in a forum not filled with- "would you x with this person" etc.... I am not on any other social media so this is my only "crowd sourcing" way to hit up the masses.