Staying on track while laid up

Options
Anyone else out there finding it hard to stay on track while they're laid up? Im going on my 6th day of being home bound due to a serious back injury. I'm either standing or laying down. I cant work out, or even go for walks. Cooking is nearly impossible because I can't bend down and get things I need from the cabinets. Let alone reach up high to get ingredients. I find myself eating a lot of "quick snacks" or ordering a deliery. I'm finding myself eating within my calories most days but last night and today I want to eat everything in site! (I'm also not sleeping more than 3 or 4 hours and are on several medications). What do other people do when nursing a serious injury while trying to lose weight? Stop tracking and start up again when healed? Is it possible to keep losing weight in this situation?

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It is possible to keep losing but keep in mind that your body needs rest and fuel to recover right now. I'd focus on nutrition instead of weight loss. Drink plenty of water in case you're confusing hunger and thirst. Can anyone help you with cooking or do you have healthy delivery options?
    I understand it's hard to sleep because you're probably not tired due to lack of activity. That's OK. A little sleep and lost of rest is OK.
    When I was on bed rest I tried to focus on other things to keep from going stir crazy. I read, planned a road trip for when I felt better, did some crafting, watched movies and documentaries, and learned about topics that interest me.
    Just keep in mind that this is temporary. It will pass and life will get back to normal. Hang in there. It will get better.
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from surgery and going through a similar thing, although I'm only day 3 and so far I haven't been that hungry, although I'm worried about the days to come. I will be able to do slow walking, but the weather is supposed to turn bad again...I'm nervous!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Never stop tracking.

I find this- my feet are not good. I can injure my foot, but then I let my foot injury into my head. My Pickleball game is out of the question. Even walking around hurts. Pretty soon I’m just moping on the couch eating extra snacks.

I gotta find something else to do. Even if it’s the recumbent bike at the gym. That and a massage. Anything to break the funk.

And it’s not easy. There’s something I get from the funk or else I wouldn’t do it. Try something, anything different. Experiment.

Oh, something I fall into pretty easily- tell myself it hopeless. Has never turned out to be hopeless.