Am I doing something wrong?

Options
epetty23
epetty23 Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I just started making small changes in my lifestyle and it's been 4 weeks now. I walk everyday, I will do on a average of 12,000 steps a day, I also track my calories, keeping it under 1800 and burn about 700 everyday. My last weigh in(Jan 23rd) at the doctor's office was 226 lbs, I am 5'4 btw, this morning (2/14) I weighed 214.5 lbs, I felt like I am losing too fast. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    A good chunk of your initial loss could be water weight, if you've been making significant changes to your way of eating, carb intake, sodium intake, water intake, etc.

As long as you're feeling well (not overly tired, hungry or weak), I wouldn't worry too much. You'll probably find that your weight loss pace will slow to a more reasonable pace soon.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,027 Member
    Options
    That is a little quick, but for now it is probably mostly water weight. If you continue to lose at 3 pounds per week then you would want to up your calories a bit. Are both of your weigh ins at the doctor's office? If you are using a different scale then your weight "loss" might not be totally accurate.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,570 Member
    Options
    It's quite likely that the scale at your doctor's office and your own are very different. Also, were both weight-ins at the same time of the day with the same amount of food and water taken in before? The same clothes?
  • epetty23
    Options
    I don't feel week. I actually feel good everyday. I feel motivated and being active become sum what of a new addiction to me. I drink a lot of water, I stopped drinking soda, sweet tea (which is my favorite). I cut down a lot on carbs and red meat. I have heard that losing too fast is not healthy, I will try not to worry so much. Being healthy is more important to me than being skinny.
  • epetty23
    Options
    The first weigh in at the doctor's office was 226, and my second follow up visit which was 2 weeks later, I weighed 222. and that's 2 weeks ago. It must be the scale too. I guess I will know better on my next visit which is next week. :wink:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I also lost about 12 pounds in the first six weeks when I first started reducing calories, so that big drop definitely can happen. Also, were you wearing clothes and shoes at the doctor when you were weighed? How about at home?

That said, your numbers are a little concerning, if accurate: are you eating net 1800 calories (i.e. after subtracting calories for working out), or gross? If the latter, you may be eating too little. If you continue to lose quickly, you may want to start eating more calories to compensate for your exercise. 700 is a lot to burn in a day, so you might want to start with a smaller percentage of that to make sure your numbers are accurate.
  • epetty23
    Options
    Perhaps the clothing and shoes and the different scale plays a big factor. I will go back next week and I will see the difference.
    My work requires me to sit in front of the computer all day and I just walk in place for 15 mins whenever I get the chance. I exercise and walk around my neighborhood for about 45 mins everyday. I did change my diet, eating more vegetables, less carb, no fried food, no fast food.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you have a scale at home, just use it and don't compare to the doctors scale. Be more concerned with the change in your scale that what the "actual" number is. So pick one and stick to it.
  • epetty23
    Options
    That makes sense... :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Net 1100 cals is a little low, I'd eat a bit more if I was you. If you start with your calories too low, as you lose weight you have nowhere to go.

This assumes that the OP is actually burning 700 calories, which is a rather high number.

OP, just keep monitoring progress. You seem to be doing well currently. If the aggressive weight loss continues, you can bump up calories a bit.
  • epetty23
    Options
    Thank you. I am monitoring my progress. I walk 4 miles a day around my neighborhood and I stay on my feet even at work. I am eating less and I watch and count the calories in take. I will keep watching. Like I said, I am more focus on being healthier than skinny. I have high blood pressure and that's the very reason why I changed my lifestyles and making better or healthier choices in food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    epetty23 wrote: »
    Thank you. I am monitoring my progress. I walk 4 miles a day around my neighborhood and I stay on my feet even at work. I am eating less and I watch and count the calories in take. I will keep watching. Like I said, I am more focus on being healthier than skinny. I have high blood pressure and that's the very reason why I changed my lifestyles and making better or healthier choices in food.

Keep going then. Also, at some point, you should consider some resistance training. It helps maintain muscle mass which helps maintain your metabolism and improves body composition over just dieting and cardio.