Intermittent Fasting

Options
Can you please let me know if it works, and how much have you lost in what timeframe

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It works if it helps you stay within your calorie goal. Weight loss comes down to calories eaten compared to calories burned. There's no other trick or tip to make it faster or make it work if you eat too much.
  • tablefor5now
    tablefor5now Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do the 16:8 fast but I also keep track of my calories (I'm not militant about it but I stay within cooee of 1200-1350 calories a day). I'm 5'4". So far I have lost 13.5kg in about 5.5 months. If we're away for the weekend I only do the fasting, not the calorie counting though I try to make sensible food decisions. I was doing ALOT of walking (20km a week) and bike riding once a week and was losing at a good pace. However I broke my ankle 5 weeks ago - lateral malleolar fracture - so the loss has slowed down. I'm out of the moonboot next week so I am looking forward to getting back into walking. I want to lose another 15-20kg.
    I find the 16:8 fast quite easy because I am not generally hungry in the mornings. IF naturally drops your calorie intake by virtue of the fact that you're missing breakfast but if you make up for it by overeating in the 8 hour window, it won't do anything for you.
  • 1981vette
    1981vette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been intermittent fasting for about 4 months and have lost 20Lbs. I no longer crave soda and making good clean choices throughout the week and spoil/reward myself a bit on the weekend when eating out and about with the family. I do not eat anything until 11am and nothing past 7pm, water all day and juices, teas, or coffee only during eating time. pure water all day without overdoing it. I haven't felt hungry or jitters at all. The weight is staying off with a 1-2 Lbs variance from day to day. The only exercise once a day on an elliptical 30-45 minutes and upto an hour if i'm having a really good day. I also track what I eat and keep the calories under 2000. The thing that keeps me going is that I feel better. I am 5'4" 199 Lbs with a goal weight of 160-175 depending how if feel and look. I like being on the heavier side.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    It definitely works for me. I do the 19:5 fast with the 5 hour window. I am an evening eater. Very hard to over eat.
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    I do OMAD with a 1-4 hour eating window depending on the day and I throw in a few full fasting days weekly...this allows me to eat what I want and eat to satiation which is important to me. Play with it and find what works for you!

@fanncy0626 I have NO problem overeating even in a 1 hour eating window so I try to keep it reasonable LOL
  • kpendleton19
    kpendleton19 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I do IF Monday to Friday 18:6 have about 1800 calories and Saturday and Sunday 23:1 eat about 2000 calories. I lost 46 lbs in 3 months

Were u calculating your macros intake with IF?
  • MyRoadto195
    MyRoadto195 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do IF Monday to Friday 18:6 have about 1800 calories and Saturday and Sunday 23:1 eat about 2000 calories. I lost 46 lbs in 3 months

Were u calculating your macros intake with IF?

Yes, atleast 50% of my food is fat, Net Carbs between 20-40 grams and remaining in Protein
  • luvnikkic
    luvnikkic Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    • I started January 22nd, and I'm down 15 lbs as of today - 3 weeks.
    • It's honestly, for ME, the only sustainable way of eating to lose weight and/or maintain.
    • I do 16/8, sometimes 18/6, my cut off is aimed at latest 8:30.
    • I also eat whatever I want once a week - Friday night usually, then have at least a 20 hr fast after.
    • I drink at least a gallon of water, plus coffee, black w/ 2 sweetener 2x per day.
    • I workout 4-5 days a week in the morning, fasted - with BCAA's during workout and sipping on after till i break my fast.
    • I'm not very picky with my macros. I eat relatively low carb, approx 50-75 grams, protein is the highest - at least 100g. I usually just make sure i have lots of veggies and protein each day. Lactose-free 0% plain greek yogurt and/or Vega All-in-One Protein in the evening to get in as much protein as I can - it can be hard!
    • FYI: I ate my first meal at 3pm - 550 cals approx. I'm supposed to have eaten by now, but I'm not even hungry! I'm going to have to either force it, or eat a bit later tonight, then change the time i break my fast tomorrow. It's so flexible!
  • luvnikkic
    luvnikkic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find the 16:8 fast quite easy because I am not generally hungry in the mornings. IF naturally drops your calorie intake by virtue of the fact that you're missing breakfast but if you make up for it by overeating in the 8 hour window, it won't do anything for you.

EXACTLY!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I do the 16:8 fast but I also keep track of my calories (I'm not militant about it but I stay within cooee of 1200-1350 calories a day). I'm 5'4". So far I have lost 13.5kg in about 5.5 months. If we're away for the weekend I only do the fasting, not the calorie counting though I try to make sensible food decisions. I was doing ALOT of walking (20km a week) and bike riding once a week and was losing at a good pace. However I broke my ankle 5 weeks ago - lateral malleolar fracture - so the loss has slowed down. I'm out of the moonboot next week so I am looking forward to getting back into walking. I want to lose another 15-20kg.

if you are overeating in your window of time and its over your maintenance calories you still gain weight,. I have fasted basically all my life as Im not a big breakfast person and I still gained weight eating too many calories.
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've lost 93 pounds so far with 8 hour eating window. But, this is just a tool to keep my caloric intake reasonable. It's all about CICO
  • karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've started this myself (at least started doing it properly and with a plan). So now I have lunch at 1 pm, dinner and maybe a last meal at 9 pm. Easy to follow, and maintain. I have cut out all sweetened drinks and try to get enough proteins as I started lifting in the fall, and really enjoy getting stronger.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    yup, big success with it its a great way for me to manage CICO .... by missing breakfast I have saved 300kcal, if I choose to pushon past lunch thats another 500kcal and obviously no snack in that time .... come 6pm I have a full quota of calories at my disposal to make any dinner I dang well please

Its an excellent way for me to eat low calorie through the weekdays, then eat like the rest of the family at the weekend without going over my weekly limit.

• karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Its an excellent way for me to eat low calorie through the weekdays, then eat like the rest of the family at the weekend without going over my weekly limit.

My thoughts exactley.
  • bombon4075
    bombon4075 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So , a way of IF could be when you only do one big meal (1200-1400) calories a day and nothing else but water for the rest of the day till next day same time ? I'm curious cause it's the only way I can not overeat, the only way its been working for me to feel good and don't feel hungry all the time, but if you say that to other people always is bad comments, its bad for you, is not healthy etc ... So its ok or am I wrong ,,,?????
  • kpendleton19
    kpendleton19 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bombon4075 wrote: »
    So , a way of IF could be when you only do one big meal (1200-1400) calories a day and nothing else but water for the rest of the day till next day same time ? I'm curious cause it's the only way I can not overeat, the only way its been working for me to feel good and don't feel hungry all the time, but if you say that to other people always is bad comments, its bad for you, is not healthy etc ... So its ok or am I wrong ,,,?????

Doing IF for 3wks now and lost 11 lbs with 5x a week exercise. I am doing 1200-1300 kcal a day with one exception of Sundays as my "diet break" in which i intake 1800kcal but still follow IF. I dont think I can eat 1200 in one sitting cause then i would want some snacks here and there throughout my 8hrs eat time. I usually do 300 kcal 4x a day within the 8 hrs to keep me from getting the hunger pang. I eat more protein now and less carbs. I dont do meal prep but I do record my food on MFP the night before so I can tweak here and there of what I should/need to eat for the day.
  • CurvyWurly
    CurvyWurly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiya ive lost 14lbs in one month doing 16:8 :) another 2 and half stone by july is what im aiming for xx
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    24lbs down doing Fast5 (19/5)and using Fitbit ti track steps since middle of last year.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!