6 weeks into boot camp and weights: I gained 10 pounds AND inches

Options
I am 48. I joined a gym to lose weight and get trim. I am 5 ft 10. When I started 6 weeks ago, I weighed 225 pounds. After doing boot camp consistently 3x/week, and weights 1 - 2x per week I am gaining mass. I am eating 2000 calories a day with lots of fish, eggs, protein shakes, vegetables, etc with the occasional pizza cheat nights. I know muscle weighs more than fat and that it takes time for it to start burning the fat, but 6 weeks? How long is it going to take for my weight to start dropping? What can I change do get the fat burning off?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Option one: You're eating more than 2,000 calories a day because you're not logging accurately.

Option two: You're logging some days accurately, but the "pizza cheat nights" contain enough extra calories to cause weight gain.

Either one is possible. Your diary is closed. If you open it, we can help you troubleshoot your daily logging.

This - plus I think people greatly overestimate the cals burned in these boot camps/CrossFit workouts.

Yes, that's a great point.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! I lost 8 lbs last month, and have gained 3 back so far this month. Hoping its water retention because I started a more intense workout program. Hopefully in the next week i will lose a bunch at once...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    roncyrier wrote: »
    I gained 10 pounds in 6 weeks. I was eating only around 1200 - 1500 calories per day but since I was gaining weight, I thought my body was holding on to every once of food so I increased my calories to 2000. I will be extra vigilant on my measuring and diary tracking over the next week or so and see if maybe I'm not measuring tracing accuracy.

Any estimates on how many calories I would burn in a 45 minute bootcamp workout? I am 235 pounds.

Thanks everyone!

First, no guy should ever eat the little. Second, I wouldn't worry about how mamy calories you burn. Id aim for the same calories daily and adjust based on results. IME, following this method to be much easier that trying to track exercise calories.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds in 6 weeks. I was eating only around 1200 - 1500 calories per day but since I was gaining weight, I thought my body was holding on to every once of food so I increased my calories to 2000. I will be extra vigilant on my measuring and diary tracking over the next week or so and see if maybe I'm not measuring tracing accuracy.

Any estimates on how many calories I would burn in a 45 minute bootcamp workout? I am 235 pounds.

Thanks everyone!

Oh my... You should really consider lurking around these forums to learn more about weight loss.

Starvation mode is a complete myth. If you weren't losing weight on 1200-1500, increasing is only going to make matters worse. 1500/day is enough to make any male look like a "fragile war prisoner" if they do it long enough (google for studies that did exactly this!). There's no way you are eating anywhere close to 1200-1500 and gaining weight.

For 10 pounds gained in 6 weeks, my guess is you are eating more than 3000 calories/day... I don't know how someone can miscount calories that much, you either aren't counting liquids, aren't counting "serving sizes", or possibly both. If you truly think you are eating 1200-1500 and gaining weight, go see a doctor. It's impossible...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Other than bootcamp... what else do you do?

I am not saying go out and buy a Fitbit.

Both apple and Android phones if you make an effort to keep them on you will give you a step count for the day.

Phones tend to give less steps that fitness bands because you don't always have them with you.

But what sort of step count (as a proxy of daily activity) do you get?

For now I +1 @psuLemon about getting the base level of calories approximately right before worrying about exercise.

Gaining at 2000 Cal unless it is edema / water retention does not make much sense.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,438 Member
    Options
    If you think your body looks and feels bloated, if you feel that breathing is more difficult when you lay down. If it appears you've not like you gained fat but a lot of water then do go to a doctor now.

Otherwise: if this is body fat then mate, you really need to get a scale!

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »

Thanks everyone!

Oh my... You should really consider lurking around these forums to learn more about weight loss.

Starvation mode is a complete myth. If you weren't losing weight on 1200-1500, increasing is only going to make matters worse. 1500/day is enough to make any male look like a "fragile war prisoner" if they do it long enough (google for studies that did exactly this!). There's no way you are eating anywhere close to 1200-1500 and gaining weight.

For 10 pounds gained in 6 weeks, my guess is you are eating more than 3000 calories/day... I don't know how someone can miscount calories that much, you either aren't counting liquids, aren't counting "serving sizes", or possibly both. If you truly think you are eating 1200-1500 and gaining weight, go see a doctor. It's impossible...

Unless he's one of the very, extremely, almost impossibly rare people with an actual metabolic condition that makes even a man of his size have a BMR <1000, I agree. Impossible. Find someone who can demonstrate how to accurately measure and weigh foods. YouTube has videos that someone here can probably link to.
  • roncyrier
    roncyrier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the input. We are back from vacation and starting today will be accurately measuring all foods and liquids that I eat. Let's see if I really wasn't tracking accurately......after researching I'm going to strive for 1800 - 2000 calories per day. To answer one of the questions, I also lift weights 2x/week. Will report back in 2 weeks!