Ground Beef Entry

Options
Hey guys, what entry do you use for uncooked, ground beef? There are several entries here and all of them are giving me very different numbers with a lot of calorie difference. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Search for one of the following, depending on what the lean/fat ratio is. Look for the green-checked items.

beef ground 95% lean raw
    beef ground 90% lean raw
    beef ground 85% lean raw
    beef ground 80% lean raw
    beef ground 75% lean raw
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Id cook it and pour out the fat, then enter based upon that weight. Beef changes so much during the cooking process... seems like weighing before would change the calories.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    When I make a pot of chili and use 90-95% lean, I just pre-brown the ground beef, remove the cooked beef and then use the fat to saute the vegetables. I do not discard any of the fat, so I log the beef as raw in the recipe.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Id cook it and pour out the fat, then enter based upon that weight. Beef changes so much during the cooking process... seems like weighing before would change the calories.

I still prefer logging it raw. Better to overstate than potentially understate the calories.

Same here. Always weigh raw.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The USDA food database has values for raw and cooked & drained. @CyberTone explained how to subtract poured off fat in another discussion, but I haven't tried that feature yet.
  • Dad4Myla
    Dad4Myla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Meat is done in precooked weight. A 1/4lb cheeseburger is the weight before you cook it.
  • Freyhb
    Freyhb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Appreciate your help :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

Cooking does change the calories per ounce vs. raw but that's why there are both raw food and cooked food tables. Just use the right one for your measurement and it'll be fine. Raw tends to be easier because you'll often have the weight pre-printed on the package and it's easier to weigh individual ingredients by themselves before you start cooking.