All nighter and Metabolic Rate

Options
Hi!
Tonight I am extremely restless after hearing some terrible news.
I read an article that said that when you pull an all nighter, you burn a bit more calories (obviously being awake rather than sleeping), but then you burn less the next day because the metabolism slows down due to a lack of sleep, and I am assuming because of sluggishness as well. Anyways, it said something like your body hoards calories when you stay up all night or get no sleep. My question is, how many less calories should I eat/ how many calories should I subtract from the next day after an all nighter?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i think it will even itself out, i wouldn't worry about it.
  • Charlsberg123
    Charlsberg123 Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    None, just eat normally if possible.

This lack of sleep for one day will not affect anything other than perhaps your appetite and if you are extremely worried think of weight loss on a long term basis as opposed to day-to-day i.e calories over weekly period as opposed to daily.

Also, metabolic rate is slightly higher during sleep than at rest due to the additional energy cost of arousal.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I think you're over complicating things. Eat like you normally would today. If it becomes a regular thing I suggest seeing a doctor about it.