Teeth Grinding

Options
Does anyone else grind their teeth? I have been doing so ever since I started exercising (a subconscious stressor I suppose). I grind-ed out a filling recently, ouch, but have since purchased a grind guard. It mostly happens while I sleep but I’ve noticed I do if at other times too. I go to therapy weekly, maybe its something I need to bring up? Just wanted to see how common it was among this community.

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I do it also. It's causes me so stress that I'm afraid to fall asleep at night because I know that I'm going to do it. I've cracked several teeth and it is costly and painful to deal with. My dentist made me a night guard and it works well. Problem is that I take it out in my sleep. I find it strange places in the morning ( minds out of the gutter! I mean places like my night table or pillow!) I have a high stress job and am dealing with tons of family pressures as well .
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Try taking magnesium so you'll go to sleep relaxed.

Also since you noticed this after exercising, replace the electrolytes you lost.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't grind but I do clench all day. Even in my sleep. Leaves me with terrible headaches and a stiff jaw. I've somewhat trained myself to periodically relax my jaw but not nearly enough to make it not hurt. My dentist suggested acupuncture, but I haven't tried it. Might be a good idea to bring it up to your therapist! If it's stress related I'm sure they can help
  • cerin3646
    cerin3646 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ouch..... How long have you been working out? Are you feeling stressed? Have you tried not working out for a while/did the grinding go away? Have you ever done a parasite cleanse? Parasites can cause teeth grinding, but then again so can stress.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I went to the dentist recently for really bad jaw pain and found out that I clench my teeth in my sleep. Stress-induced. Just started wearing a mouth guard to bed this week and I've already noticed quite an improvement as my jaw doesn't hurt as much in the morning.
    My dentist also mentioned that if I find I'm clenching when I'm lifting weights I can wear the night guard then as well to protect my teeth.
  • KatsFitNow
    KatsFitNow Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My jaw locked 2 years ago and I had to go on a liquid diet. This obviously does NOT happen to everyone so please don’t be concerned- odds are slim this could ever be you.

I am a lifelong grinder and have worn a mouthguard since I was 14. I’m 35 now. But it seems like since your symptoms are recent, they may go away, just as quickly as they came.

If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to ask.

-Katherine
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    i grind my teeth when stressed. thankfully not hard enough to do any damage - my dentist has never mentioned it, but it wakes the husband sometimes.

there is no correlation with the amount of exercise i am doing though
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Yup. Try a mouth guard.
  • ShaunnaCullen
    ShaunnaCullen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I tend to spit the guard out while I sleep but I guess some wear time is better than none. Wish me luck
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    AS others have suggested - go get a mouth guard. I've been wearing one when I sleep for the past dozen years or so. Makes a HUGE difference - you won't wake up with an aching jaw/neck pain. I was fitted for one at my Dentist's office - but I've heard from others you can use a sports mouth guard (which is a lot less expensive). Just make sure it fits snugly.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase of clenching during exercise, and grinding during my sleep. I ended up pulling a muscle in my face... It corresponded with a period of undereating, exerting myself in the gym (heavy weight and reps, stupid stupid program) and other stress.

Magnesium helped. And getting rid of the stress!
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I grind/clench badly at night. Did you get your mouth guard fitted from a dentist or did you just pick one up at the store? My dentist made one for me with an impression of my top teeth so it fits very snugly. There is no way to spit it out, I have to physically pull it out. That might be something to consider. It is clear so I also have the option of wearing it during the day if I find I clench my jaw a lot. It caused me headaches and lots of neck pain. I saw a physiotherapist for dry needling which fixed me up.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Due to my anxiety disorder I've been a nighttime grinder since childhood. I grind even more when experiencing seasonal allergies.

I use a Dentek night guard and actually sleep so much better and my dentist says it has really helped prevent further damage.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I grind/clench at night. I had my dentist make me an NTI guard. Little fitted piece of plastic that fits on the front bottom teeth, can't fall out, and doesn't irritate at all. Ended the morning headaches and jaw pain.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I grind/clench at night. I had my dentist make me an NTI guard. Little fitted piece of plastic that fits on the front bottom teeth, can't fall out, and doesn't irritate at all. Ended the morning headaches and jaw pain.

I should talk to my new dentist about this...sounds good.
    I had one made about 8 years ago but it was fitted for my top teeth and it pinched/hurt so much I could barely eat for weeks, didn't seem right. A thousand dollars down the drain LOL

• mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Dentist says Im grinding. Just need to start using my retainer more so I'm not going tooth to tooth. Should help but not solve the issue.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people grind their teeth and need night guards. I have had one since 2004 (and it wasn't related to exercise, I can tell you.)

I recommend getting a nice one from the dentist; will be like $300-$400, which sounds like a lot, but they last for like 10 years. Also, I recommend getting one for your bottom jaw, not top, because it is smaller and more comfortable for most people.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mostly when I'm really stressed out...I wear a night guard most of the summer due to stress.
  • katherinewlongnonpronouncable
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Stopped chewing gum at dentist recommendation apparently allergy meds cause dry mouth and worked in heatwaves outdoors. Since ground or clenched in day. Then noticed protective fillings ground out, got night guards they started new pains got adjusted they started falling out chiro noticed jaw tension. Any one can suggest what to chew that you dont have to wash or prep.