Stalled for weeks and I'd just gotten started! Diary public. Advice?

Options
GB333
GB333 Posts: 261 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 38 years old, 5'8" tall. To give you some perspective, I am small framed and weighed about 120 through my twenties, which was a size 0/2. In my thirties, at 140 I am a size 4/6. So 140 is my goal weight.

I started in January at 176 and by just reducing to 1200 calories or less a day (no exercise), I quickly lost 11 pounds. (I also had the flu during this time, so I think that helped move that scale at the start of my journey.) I've been sitting at 165 for almost three weeks now and the scale HAS NOT BUDGED! Well, actually it has - I've "gained" and "lost" the same 2 or 3 pounds every day since January. Up, down, up, down, up, down - but never below 165. How am I possibly not losing weight eating less than 1200 calories a day???? (My maintenance calories are 1772 according to the Mifflin-St Jeor Formula.)

This isn't my first go round - I have a digital kitchen scale and weight my food. The only things I don't log are La Croix water and occasionally I won't log an alcoholic drink, which is a whiskey and coke zero a few nights a week (but I'm trying to be better and log these!) If I cheat and eat a piece of chocolate, I log it. I quit caffeine (except for the occasional coke zero and whiskey!) at the start of all of this - I was ADDICTED for years previously! I haven't touched junk food and have limited my sugar intake drastically. I was trying to eat paleo but with this stall over the last few weeks, I have slowly brought in a few carbs trying the "eat more to lose more" philosophy. (Plus I just really missed having an english muffin with my eggs!)

So what have I done to try to fix this?

1. I have now added in 30 minutes of cardio every morning - a brisk walk on the treadmill. I know it's not much, but it is better than nothing, right? I'm getting about 8,000+ steps a day now. (I sit at a desk job all day!) This has only been for the last three days, so nothing on the scale yet.

2. I have decided to cut out all alcohol (and coke zero) until the scale starts moving again. Starting today. ;)

3. It's really hard to convince myself to eat MORE when the scale isn't moving, but I am trying to eat my full 1200 calories a day even though I'm not hungry and can do just fine on less, especially since I'm doing a little exercise now. (I was eating about 800 a day). I've tried to throw in snacks when I can. Today I had an english muffin AND my normal hard boiled egg for breakfast, trying to up the calories. Now that I'm moving away from paleo, I may add back in some oatmeal in the mornings.

4. Eat more veggies. I've been eating a lot of meat since I was doing paleo. I've allowed back in greek yogurt and a little bread now. But I wasn't eating enough veggies, I don't think, so I'm trying to up that.

So what do you say, oh wise MFP friends? What am I doing wrong and what else can I do to jump start the scale moving again? I can't blame THREE weeks on hormones! :( One note: Lifting weights isn't going to happen, so although I agree it's a great idea, yeah - it's not me. Should I continue to try to eat more, even though I'm not hungry? Should I diversify my foods more? Am I getting too much sodium? (My diary is public.) What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is going on here?!!?! HELP!!!!!!

Replies

• GB333
    edited February 2018
    Options
    They eggs were actually cooked in butter and I did log the butter. :) I chose the fried listing rather than just adding two eggs so the calories would be a little high instead of low. I always try to air on the high side. The banana, you may be right - I chose the larger of the listings I could find for one banana, not a small one. Would you weigh it with or without the peel? If I am eating 1000 calories a day, and my banana and zucchini are slightly off, that still does not put me over 1200 a day. Half of a bell pepper is 18 calories.... so if I actually ate more than half (I actually did not even eat the full half), does that 10 calories really throw me off that much? I honestly don't think it's because I haven't weighed my squash, but I can certainly try that!! It can't hurt! :)
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    GB333 wrote: »
    3. I am trying to eat my full 1200 calories a day even though I'm not hungry and can do just fine on less, especially since I'm doing a little exercise now. (I was eating about 800 a day).

These numbers are very low and to me suggests you may be eating more calories than you think. It is very easily done. Tighten up the weighing and logging and see how you get on.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the odd glass of whisky, but definitely log them as they can really add up (I love my whisky too!)
  • GB333
    Options
    There are also some of my "Recipes" in there, which I know you wouldn't be able to see. These are made up of all of the ingredients, weighed and added in, and then divided up by servings into equally sized containers. I really do make an effort to try to be accurate or on the high end, whenever possible. :)
  • GB333
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Gee, I sounded kinda rude! I didn't mean to come off that way! Please know I SOOOO appreciate you taking the time to look and respond! <3
  • GB333
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The subway sandwich was a bad day. I was at a meeting for work and it was catered. I have not eaten out at all this year except for that day. I totally don't trust restaurants!! :) I did not touch the chips or cookie that came in the box, and I stuck to my La Croix instead of the sweet tea they served!

You make some excellent points. I will definitely weigh EVERYTHING and see if I'm missing something.

I was very mad at my husband for buying those damn Lindor truffles for valentine's day! :-P
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that tightening up the logging may solve your problem. When you're already at a fairly healthy BMI, the margin of error becomes quite small.

I'm 5'7", currently 145lbs and aiming for 135lbs and I try to stick to 1200 net cals. My weight has been shedding at a very good pace, most likely due to accurate logging.

I weigh all solids - even fruit and veggies - on my digital scale and record the gram weights. I search for USDA entries whenever I can, as they're more accurate (remember that all the MFP database is user-submitted and could be inaccurate!). I even log my couple tablespoons of almond milk in my tea, even though they're only 20 calories or so. It all adds up. :)
  • GB333
    Options
    I log the creamer in my tea, as well! :) I never thought not weighing fruits veggies would amount to much since they are usually so low in calories to start with, but I will definitely give it a go!! No more Whiskey for awhile, so no need to worry about logging that.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    medium sweet potatoes; home made "this or that" Are those patties your recipe that you created? Just looks like generic logging to me. I would definitely suggest looking at your logging and entries chosen.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    your deficit is going to be tight at that weight you can't afford to be picking entries like medium IMO
  • GB333
    Options
    I can totally see what you mean. Many of the generic ones are my recipes, so you cannot see the detail. I weigh all meat - although with the most recent hamburger, my husband bought it from the butcher so I was unable to see the fat content (like how it's usually 93/7 and whatnot) so that one might be a bit off. In my stuffed peppers, that detail is included in the recipe (although I did not weigh each pepper) along with all of the other ingredients. I do weigh my beef jerky, but the person who mentioned that is right - I chose a "generic" entry. There is nothing in it that adds calories except the meat (I made it) and it's a VERY lean meat, but I could make a recipe for it next time. That one is difficult bc the weight before and after cooking is so extremely different - I wasn't sure how to go about it.
  • GB333
    Options
    With all due respect, a medium sweet potato isn't a recipe .

No, that one is definitely not! Neither is a large banana. I'll start weighing those. Thank you! And I'll start weighing the produce that appears in my recipes, as well.

• inertiastrength
    Options
    GB333 wrote: »
    With all due respect, a medium sweet potato isn't a recipe .

No, that one is definitely not! Neither is a large banana. I'll start weighing those. Thank you! And I'll start weighing the produce that appears in my recipes, as well.

I think that's a good idea. I regularly have sweet potatoes and they vary SO MUCH. Also not sure if you weigh slices of bread but my bread says 40g/slice of 110 cal and I used to just grab a slice and log that but now that I'm trying to lose the last 10lbs I realized I have to weigh even that. that 40g slice was actually 65 grrrrrr
  • GB333
    Options
    So should you weigh a potato or sweet potato before or after cooking it? I imagine that could make a difference....?