Couch to 5K?

Options
Has anyone done the 'couch to 5K'? How successful were you? I'm sure this is not the first time this question has been asked.......

Replies

• doodlebug
    doodlebug Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done the 'couch to 5K'? How successful were you? I'm sure this is not the first time this question has been asked.......
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did it last summer. It was working really well, I got to week 5 but then I hurt my knee playing tennis so that ended it for last year. I'll probably do it again this year although starting partway through as I've been working out (elliptical and P90X) recently.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm an asthmatic smoker.
    The last time I ran was 1995 when due to asthma and strep throat I passed out.
    I expected this program to take me forever.
    I have not stuck to it and done it 3x a week.
    I probably run twice a week.
    Have been doing so since about mid-December.
    I'm on Week 5, working on day 2.
    With more dedication, I could do better.
    I think it's a GREAT program.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    sounds like interesting program.
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    I did something similar on my own a few years ago. It actually looked not too different than this but I started in around December or November and my first race was in March. By the time that 5 K got here I was already training for a longer 10K biathlon and so the 5K was just part of my training routine.

I think if you are sound and stick with this program you will be pleased with the results.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I attempted this last year, but never seemed to push myself enough.

This month I joined a learn to run program offered at a local running store and have found the group support really pushes me much harder. We are now running straight for 11 minutes and have only been training for 3 weeks. We are training for a 5k run in March and I am loving this program so far. I think it can work for you if you make sure you push yourself :wink:
  • SuzieB
    Options
    Yes! I am doing it now and I love it. It keeps me going since there is a goal in mind (and I signed up for a 5K race on March 15th). I also get really bored when I work out but all the intervals keeps it interesting. I have started to look forward to my workouts and I feel amazing afterwards.

The only problem is that yesterday I did my first 20 min run (week 5, day 3) and I couldn't do it! Maybe it was an off day but I am still motivated to try that one again tomorrow. Mostly it was pain in my feet. So get some good shoes. I am running on bad ones and need to go get something better. Especially after that attempt at 20 minutes!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to start, but 1. it gets dark so early here in the evenings, and were we live out in the country there are no street lights, and 2. I know the second I get started the bad weather will roll around and I won't be about to go out and run.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I started it the first of January and I'm a little ahead of the schedule. I do enjoy it a lot. I never thought my knees would stand up to the running. I'm not fast but it's progress...hehe!

Amanda
  • doodlebug
    doodlebug Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers! I think I might try it. I would love to be a runner. Not just for the cardiovascular side but for the stress reduction as well. Thanks!!