Zero endorphins. Anyone else?

Options
No matter how hard I work out or what kind of exercise I do, I never get the post workout feel-good feeling people talk about. Is it possible to lack endorphins? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't get that feeling either. Lifting makes me tired, running makes me feel like crap. Exercise is still worth it to me for the health benefits.

I believe there are like 20 types of endorphins. If you've ever felt pleasure (sexual, food, love) then you aren't lacking endorphins. If you've suffered from chronic depression or other mental illness (like I do) then you might be lacking in certain ones or have an over abundance of other ones. I don't think there's a way to fix it beyond chemical replacement for lacking ones.
  • Munchberry
    Munchberry Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    An interesting article on your very problem. You are NOT alone.https://drjockers.com/endorphin-deficiency/
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You may not get that huge endorphin thing, but be sure to let yourself feel proud of your exercise accomplishment. That gives me a happy feeling, which is more subtle than an endorphin high, but it’s still a positive outcome.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just curious; have you tried any high risk or Adrenaline pumping activities, like skydiving?
  • cornplastic
    cornplastic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jgnatca, I’ve never done skydiving, but have done things like rock-climbing, ziplines, and jumping snowmobiles.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some food for thought.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1869106,00.html

You might be better at dampening the dopamine effect than the average person.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yeah, same with me. Never did understand people who would go on and on about how great exercise makes them feel. I don't hate exercise anymore, but haven't ever really managed to like or love it.
  • ilovefood87
    ilovefood87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I never feel it. I don't get it either. I don't enjoy gym time like some others do but if it's a walk/marathon thing with friends doing it with me I have fun. But I think that's more because of the company.