Do you have an AWESOME Chicken Sausage Recipe?

Options
I took out Chicken Sausage out of the freezer this morning for dinner tonight. I have a couple of ideas on what to do with it but that I would put it out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. I am always up for trying something new.

thanks! :)

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I make chicken sausage gyros... pita bread, chicken sausage, shredded cucumber, thinly sliced red onion with some homemade tzatziki.
  • bexhex
    bexhex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make "Hobo Dinners" with it... it's nice if you're cooking for more than yourself, too, that way everyone gets what they want. I lay the chicken sausage on tin foil, and add a small sliced potato and all the veggies I want. Sprinkle it with your fave spice(s) and add 1-tbsp of light margarine.... then fold it all up to make it a little pack. You can bake it or grill it! Before adding everything to the foil, you can also toss it in EVOO (but I think it tastes better with margarine, and its not too many extra cals if you keep it to the tbsp)

But the Chicken Sausage gyro sounds delish, too!!!!
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I typically like chicken and sausage gumbo...just posted the recipe http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/301713-august-challenge-funky-unchunky-monkey-s-closed-group?page=4 it's towards the bottom...it's easy and can keep for awhile, or be frozen for later as well...just a fair warning I only make it in the winter because it makes my apt too hot in the summer....

oops I read that as chicken and sausage but I'm sure you could improvise...
  • drk_diva
    drk_diva Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How about mixing the chicken & sausage in a stir fry with red, yellow & green bell peppers.
  • libs41223
    libs41223 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I was going to use for the challenge. My family LOVES it. I usually make it with Turkey Italian sausage but I think Chicken sausage would work too. :)

Ingredients: Sausage, Rigatoni, Kale, Chicken Broth, and parm cheese

Cook the pasta on it's own.

Cut the sausage out of the casing and cook until done. (I suppose you could slice it if you want to, my fam didn't like it that way. Who knows why.)

Chop the kale. When the sausage is done (or almost) throw in the chopped kale and a cup of chicken broth.

Cover the pan and let the kale wilt on low heat for about 10 minutes.

Add in the pasta, stir it up and serve. Sprinkle the parm on if you like.

Like I said, my family loves this and there really isn't a way to mess it up. :)
  • EJsMom310
    EJsMom310 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just made chicken sausage yesterday! And I just ate some on my lunch break at work. :P This was already flavored with roasted garlic and mozzarella. I cut it up, threw it all in a baking pan and added cut up potatos, green beans, carrots and tomatos! Yum. :) I threw in a little 'I Can't Believe it's Not Butter -Light" (my butter of choice) and a little garlic salt. It was so yummy. I put the oven on 350 and every 10-15 or once the sausage on top would start to brown, I would mix everything up and do it all over again until every piece of sausage had a crispy edge. We had already eaten lunch and I was cooking the sausage randomly so I had a lot of time to keep putting it back in the oven but it was SO good! LOL
  • coolhandkate
    Options
    I buy a couple different kinds of chicken sausage, and that will determine how I cook it. Just a few ideas:

Mango Chicken Sausage
    - with strawberries, spinach and cucumbers in a salad with basil lime dressing
    - in an omelet with brie, spinach, peppers and broccoli rabe

Basil Pesto Chicken Sausage
    - with whole wheat pasta and broccoli rabe, tossed with a little margarine, garlic and basil
    - stir fry with peppers, broccoli rabe and snap peas
  • DawnyB1210
    Options
    Here are two ideas that I've used turkey sausage for, so I'm thinking chicken sausage would work as well..the first one is really simple, just buy Zatarain's red beans and rice mix and add the cooked sausage to it. It's a quick weeknight meal if you add a green salad. The second idea is to bake the sausage whole in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, they don't have to be completely cooked through, but just firm enough to slice. Then sautee some onions and red and yellow peppers (I hate green peppers) in a little olive oil. Add some garlic and a can of chopped tomatoes with 1/2 of the tomato juice. Add a little red wine and let it cook down a bit. Add the sausage and cover pan and let everything simmer for a few minutes until the sausage is cooked through. Then you can serve over whole wheat pasta with a little parm or crumbled goat cheese, or on a roll with some shredded part skim mozzarella. Yum!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had chicken sausage for dinner last night. I cooked some whole wheat pasta, added cut up sausage, zucchini, green beans and tomato (any veggies you have on hand would work) and used homemade pesto as the sauce for the whole thing. It was really yummy!
  • gemini0007
    gemini0007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My family and I love this recipe from the Healthy Food Guide (NZ)

Quick tomato and sausage stew
    Try using spicy chorizo or vegetarian sausages in this recipe to vary the flavour.

Ingredients
    cooking oil spray
    1 onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    4-5 good quality sausages, sliced
    400g can chopped tomatoes (flavoured if you prefer)
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
    425g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley, to serve

Instructions
    Step 1 Heat a wide pan over a medium-high heat. Spray with cooking oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add sausages and cook for 5-6 minutes until browned.

Step 2 Add tomatoes, water, cumin and chilli (if using).Cook for 10-15 minutes until sausages are tender and cooked through.

Step 3 Stir in chickpeas and peas. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.

Nutrition Information
    per serve
    Energy 2040 kJ
    (492 Cals)
    Protein 47g
    Fat
    - saturated 18g
    7g
    Carbohydrates
    - sugars 30g
    9g
    Dietary Fibre 15g