Mad Munchies

Options
I'm positive i'm not alone on this one......I am absolutely starving when my period comes. Seriously starving. I wish i could say i logged my whole day today but i didnt so i cant really see the full damage. What i do know about myself is this - day 1 and 2 are always super hungry days then things taper off and im back to normal a few days later. Fats are good at holding me (pb, avocado), i need substantial food (like todays 2 oatmeal cookies - yikes), and specifically meat is super satisfying. Anyone else notice trends in food choices based on their cycles? Bonus points if you can share things you like to eat that work at curbing those cravings! Sorry if tmi but just gotta know

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm just starving in general. I'll get more cravings, not something I typically have or give into. I'm also tired and that makes me want more carbs. I eat my protein bars to get my sweet fix in. Try to chew gum and drink diet soda. I give in to a few things but I'm stubborn. I won't let my stupid period derail me completely.
  • Rockwoodcommalindsey
    Options
    I can absolutely relate! I do my best to get thru the few days of the hungry horrors.. log it..accept it.. and work out a little extra after it passes. But the struggle is real !! (My cravings are always brownie sundaes. Always. It never fails.)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm just starving in general. I'll get more cravings, not something I typically have or give into. I'm also tired and that makes me want more carbs. I eat my protein bars to get my sweet fix in. Try to chew gum and drink diet soda. I give in to a few things but I'm stubborn. I won't let my stupid period derail me completely.

You look like a fittness model in your profile picture. So you clearly know what you are doing :)
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Not actual period, but PMS, like 1 week before my period for solid 5 days I will be so upset with everything, that it usually results in emotional binging.
  • wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Me too! I have binge eating issues but not all the time. I tracked for a year on a calendar and always 2 weeks before and a few days into my period, then carb cravings and psycho anger and tearful moments just go.

The doctor suggested the pill might help and suggested low carb before period but no idea why he suggested the latter- insulin? However, I think if there is ever a difficult time to give up carbs it’s before the time of the month.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The doctor suggested the pill might help and suggested low carb before period but no idea why he suggested the latter- insulin? However, I think if there is ever a difficult time to give up carbs it’s before the time of the month.

I've read that hormone levels during late luteal phase (~week before a period) make you more insulin resistant, so you're more susceptible to swings in blood sugar (read: cravings and hunger). So theoretically, low carb would help. But I totally agree with you, about 1 week before my period, carbs are all I want! More specifically, salty, fatty carbs usually in the form of chips. I try to bake a bunch of potatoes to have instead, cause I find them satiating. Works to some extent, but honestly, I'm still thinking about the chips. In practice, keeping protein intake high works best as damage control, but hard to do as its not what I want. I know some ppl use cocoa powder (like the unsweetened kind you bake with) in water/tea/coffee to curb cravings. Doesn't work for me, though.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Me too! I have binge eating issues but not all the time. I tracked for a year on a calendar and always 2 weeks before and a few days into my period, then carb cravings and psycho anger and tearful moments just go.

I would think twice about the BC. Obviously we all react different and there are so many different kinds. My appetite sky rocketed on it. I'd rather deal with cravings for a week then an insatiable appetite constantly.
  • GirlWithCookies
    GirlWithCookies Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cravings and excessive hunger definitely happen to me during PMS and period. I'm at the end of my period now and I've been dreaming about doughnuts for days.