Two pounds overnight?!?!

Options
Hey guys

So ive been on here for years but have never posted. So i normally only weigh myself once per week, but i did it a couple times this week. Ive been offered a job and after being unemployed for so long i decided to have a small treat. I had a bag of crisps, a kitkat and another chocolate bar. I only went over my cals by 270 cal. But when i got up this morning, ive gained 2lb overnight. I feel so crappy about it and feel i cant have treats now.
Any help?

Replies

• sarajbright3613
    sarajbright3613 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's why it's best to weigh once a week. You've probably retained some fluid. 270 cals cannot cause a 2lb gain , relax. Just eat normally healthily today, including your water, and it will resolve itself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates, i'm surprised it has taken this long for you to have an upwards fluctuation.
  • TrulyBlessedToo
    TrulyBlessedToo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    in order to lose one pound you need to cut 3500 calories if you are not very active. It would be reasonable that you must consume the same amount to gain one pound. You are probably carrying water weight. Candy bars often have a lot of salt in them, ditto if you are eating in restaurants. Drink plenty of water and it will flush through. Mushrooms and fresh green beans will also help with water weight. Watch your salt. Celery has more salt than you would imagine.
  • standifird
    standifird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive done the same even without eating a bag of crisps and delightful chocolate :) Shrug it off and get back to healthier eating. Most likely the culprit was the bag of crisps.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Ive been up 5lbs overnight and then down the next day no big deal either stick to weighing once a week or weigh everyday and track using a weight trending app
  • beth_kai
    beth_kai Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I usually do only weigh in once a week. I guess i got carried away this week lol. Thanks you all for the kind words, im it was a salted peanut butter chocolate bar and the crisps were pretty salty so it probably is that.
    I will definitley try the green beans and drinking plenty of water.
    Thank you all :)
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new job :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Goodness I'm surprised you haven't seen fluctuations like this before, I can bounce around a few pounds at any time and during TOM I can bounce up by 3. Its completely normal for weight to fluctuate.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    honestly i weigh everyday because it lets me see these fluctations and how different factors affect my weight (higher sodium like in the crisps; crappy sleep etc)
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    What if you ate nothing but veggies and fruits instead of chocolate would you feel like you should never eat an apple again?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's common to fluctuate 1-3 lbs in a day especially when eating something salty or not in your usual diet. I was up 2 lb yesterday and down 1.8 today. No big deal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    beth_kai wrote: »
    Hey guys

So ive been on here for years but have never posted. So i normally only weigh myself once per week, but i did it a couple times this week. Ive been offered a job and after being unemployed for so long i decided to have a small treat. I had a bag of crisps, a kitkat and another chocolate bar. I only went over my cals by 270 cal. But when i got up this morning, ive gained 2lb overnight. I feel so crappy about it and feel i cant have treats now.
    Any help?

Body weight isn't static..it fluctuates naturally for all kinds of reasons...it has jack to do with having a Kit-Kat. Most people can fluctuate 1-3-5 Lbs day to day and throughout the day.

This is what weight loss looks like in real life (this is not my graph)...

z7538.png

Weight loss and weight management in general is about trends over weeks and months, not day the day to day "noise."

I'd also ask if you understand the math? If you know the math then you know it's pretty well impossible to actually gain 2 Lbs of fat overnight...you would have to eat 7000 calories over your MAINTENANCE calories to do so...do the math.