My everything hurts!!

Options
I did a 60 minute body pump class last night at my local gym and since it was my very first day back in a long time, I am pretty sore today. No pain no gain I get that, but I'm wondering if tonight I should only do cardio to give my muscles a rest, or do another class? I'm all about the classes because I have no idea what I'm doing when weight lifting so it's a great learning tool for me. Also, why is it that my arms and legs started to shake halfway through my class? If you need to know what type of class this body pump is look into Goodlife Fitness in Canada. TIA

Replies

• steve2310
    steve2310 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Rest is important and you may have been using muscles you haven’t in that way for some time... it’s all good with time and consistency you will become stronger and your muscle will get used to it, stop wobbling
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I love the title of this thread! Welcome to BodyPump!
    60mins is a long class! but it will get easier. :) Maybe drop your weights so your form won't suffer in the later stages of the class. Also, as Cherimoose says, check your form. I was lucky to have an instructor who was also a PT and who coached form really well. I have also been to classes where even I look round and think, 'back injury....back injury....knee injury....' and the instructor says nothing to correct people.

Shaking may be due to dehydration? Not 100% sure on that but more water can help with most things body related :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    A little cardio today will help with those DOMS (delay onset muscle soreness). Its par for the course when starting a new routine. You'll find when you are exercising more consistently you wont get as sore.
  • Kimla500
    Kimla500 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right! I did the same workout class last night as I did when I posted this and I'm sore, but not "I can't feel my legs" sore so I'm making progress
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Definitely use lighter weights for now. And ask the instructor after class to see if you’ve got proper form. And do the class every other day so you get some muscle recovery.
  • Kimla500
    Options
    Thank you, I know I'm not doing squats right, I just can't seem to grasp the correct form but I will ask the instructor after class tonight if she can help
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    ^ if you can catch her before the class it might be better :) I found standing side on to the mirror helped me see my form better too (with deadlifts especially as looking in forward mirror was banned by our instructor lol). Facing the mirror doesn't show you your back angle as well.
  • Kimla500
    Options
    Great idea, thanks!
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I started p90x again this week and after the first two days everything hurt lol. Took wed off and slept in and back at it today and feel the right amount of sore. First week always sucks for me
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Kimla500 wrote: »
    I did a 60 minute body pump class last night at my local gym and since it was my very first day back in a long time, I am pretty sore today. No pain no gain I get that, but I'm wondering if tonight I should only do cardio to give my muscles a rest, or do another class? I'm all about the classes because I have no idea what I'm doing when weight lifting so it's a great learning tool for me. Also, why is it that my arms and legs started to shake halfway through my class? If you need to know what type of class this body pump is look into Goodlife Fitness in Canada. TIA

Shaking is quite normal and is usually a sign that your muscles are struggling a bit. It's a sign they are working hard. However, I would be careful when muscles start to shake, because maintaining proper form during exercise is extremely difficult then. First and foremost, always protect yourself against injury.

To build muscle, you must also let your muscle rest. So, do not feel guilty about taking the occasional rest day from lifting and doing some cardio instead. I usually recommend a full rest day too. The main thing you should always keep in mind is injury prevention, take it from someone who had many injuries over the years ;)