Researching intermittent fasting

Options
If anyone has any good articles or advice, it'd be much appreciated! Thank you.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I eat two meals a day. For me, I like having two larger meals which makes it easier to stay within my calorie allotment.

Why are you wanting to try IF? It will be easier to direct you. We need your stats, losing, maintaining weight or wanting to gain?
  • brittanynicholex
    brittanynicholex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking for good, informative articles or research on the topic. I'm not sure I want to try it, I want to know more before I decide if its a good route to take for myself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Articles and research about intermittent fasting is woo. (Funny how my post was woo'd, but that's not what it means, folks.) If you want to follow a particular meal schedule, do that. If you want to try many, do that. Just don't expect any of them to have magical properties.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping the research will say?

Intermittent fasting is a method some people use to control calories. They find it easier to hold off on eating their first meal and have a few larger meals rather than eat small meals through the day.

There are lots of studies out there about intermittent fasting. They all come to lots of different conclusions. In the end it's not going to magically make you lose weight significantly faster. Focus on how many calories you are eating because that's what really counts.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What results are you hoping for by doing IF?
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Most of the research is pretty blah. The real result comes from the fact that now you’re conscious of your eating and you’re eating less typically. It’s basically skipping breakfast.
    Same reason low carb works well for people is because most garbage food is packed with carbs.

Once you get used to the initial hunger problems it’s a good way to roll. Don’t over complicate it or buy stupid books on it. You only have so many calories a day and for a lot of people it’s easier to stay on track if they cut the meals from 3 to 2.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Most of the research is pretty blah. The real result comes from the fact that now you’re conscious of your eating and you’re eating less typically. It’s basically skipping breakfast.
    Same reason low carb works well for people is because most garbage food is packed with carbs.

Once you get used to the initial hunger problems it’s a good way to roll. Don’t over complicate it or buy stupid books on it. You only have so many calories a day and for a lot of people it’s easier to stay on track if they cut the meals from 3 to 2.

For me this was the biggest benefit to IF, learning that hunger isn't bad and can be managed. It's a nice little flex of willpower, and eventually I learned to just embrace the hunger rather than being driven crazy by it, and now when I don't eat breakfast (which used to be a must for me) I hardly feel any hunger until lunch time rolls around.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love it
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

For me this was the biggest benefit to IF, learning that hunger isn't bad and can be managed. It's a nice little flex of willpower, and eventually I learned to just embrace the hunger rather than being driven crazy by it, and now when I don't eat breakfast (which used to be a must for me) I hardly feel any hunger until lunch time rolls around.

I love it for the same reason. Learning that hunger isn't bad and can be managed was the greatest benefit for me. I don't have to plan my activities around whether or not I have eaten yet. I now fast 21 hours a day and I don't eat my first meal until 7:30 p.m. My window to eat is 7:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. So I know I can do whatever I want during the day and not worry about having to take a snack or something to eat. I also like eating bigger portions.

If I get a little hungry before I start eating, I know that it will only last about 5 minutes or so and it's gone.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I love it
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

I love it for the same reason. Learning that hunger isn't bad and can be managed was the greatest benefit for me. I don't have to plan my activities around whether or not I have eaten yet. I now fast 21 hours a day and I don't eat my first meal until 7:30 p.m. My window to eat is 7:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. So I know I can do whatever I want during the day and not worry about having to take a snack or something to eat. I also like eating bigger portions.

If I get a little hungry before I start eating, I know that it will only last about 5 minutes or so and it's gone.

I’m hungry at lunch even if I eat breakfast. But then I can’t have awesome lunches and dinners so it works for my soul.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Not much research to do. Either it works for you or it doesn't. In the end, it's about how many calories you eat in a day... when you eat them doesn't matter.

What IF does is making it easier to have bigger meals without feeling deprived because your eating window is smaller. So, if you can make it work, it's awesome. But you won't know if it works for you until you try it... So I suggest you just try skipping breakfast and see if it's manageable for you (it wasn't for me, sadly, I get weak and dizzy).

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I doubt you're going to find much if any credible research on this trendy woo.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting and while I wish the YouTube videos were true with respect to increased Gh and whatever else they claim I simply use it as a tool to control my calories. I prefer larger meals and I don't like breakfast so it seemed like a no brainer to me.

Not sure if you have FB or not but I'm in an IF group that has science-based info vs some dr Fung bs take a look at the pinned post

https://www.facebook.com/notes/intermittent-fasting/pinned-post/1533082533437404/
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It's really only personal preference or what fits your schedule. It might have some positive affects depending what type of eater you are. It will not make you lose weight or have any benefit to weight loss, aside from mental/emotional.

Me personally, I do it everyday, but not because it's a thing. I just do by default. I have invisalign and eating is quite a process. I eat a small lunch at 12, b/c there's no way I can wait for dinner, then a regular dinner between 6-8 usually.

BUT - I'm realizing now that I can't snack (I can, it would just be a terrible process), I REALLY like having basically all my calories left for the end of the day. My lunch is around 400 calories. That leaves me with the rest for dinner, which allows for drinks/desserts/basically whatever I want to eat. I'm starting to feel a little more content with being in a deficit. Going out for midweek drinks or what have you, I don't really have to plan as much.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Yep, I use it for calorie control. I find I don’t really need “breakfast” in the morning, and actually feel better just having water and tea until around 1 pm. I eat a nice sized lunch— which I’m comfortably hungry for, and then dinner with my family in the evening. I’ve found that for me personally, if I do eat in the morning I’m hungrier for the rest of the day. I will have a snack later in the evening if I want and have the calories available. I’m not locked into exact times, though, as to when I finish eating for the night.
  • brittanynicholex
    Options
    Most of these posts are about calorie control. However, there are lots of things that go on inside your body with IF. I've only read one book, but it can help with insulin levels and help lower insulin resistance. So yes, it can be used for calorie control of course, but there are other benefits and considerations. I would also suggest science-based research.

this is basically the type of info i wanted, I what goes on within the body that makes it beneficial. I'm not gonna go out and buy books or anything, and I did manage to find several articles, as well as a friend who has (unbeknownst to me) been doing IF shared a video on FB as well that gave me some info.

Also for those asking, I am looking to lose weight. I was interested in IF because the friend that shared the video did have success losing some weight this way. I feel like if I have less hours in a day to eat, then I will by default eat less. I tried it out yesterday (ate my last meal on valentine's day at 7:30 pm, and did not eat again until 11 am yesterday morning which is roughly 15 hrs) and found that I didn't snack as much between eating my first meal and eating my last meal again around 7-730. Early this morning my kiddo fell off her bed making a LOUD bang noise that abruptly woke me, I did notice my tummy felt grumbly, but not in an OMG I HAVE TO EAT way, and went back to sleep. Keeping busy getting said kiddo up and ready for school has distracted me from being relatively hungry this morning, and I'm not hangry. So, I'll continue trying it out and see what kind of results I get in the long run.

thank you guys though.
  • brittanynicholex
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting and while I wish the YouTube videos were true with respect to increased Gh and whatever else they claim I simply use it as a tool to control my calories. I prefer larger meals and I don't like breakfast so it seemed like a no brainer to me.

Not sure if you have FB or not but I'm in an IF group that has science-based info vs some dr Fung bs take a look at the pinned post

https://www.facebook.com/notes/intermittent-fasting/pinned-post/1533082533437404/

I do have a fb and will check this out. thanks!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Most of these posts are about calorie control. However, there are lots of things that go on inside your body with IF. I've only read one book, but it can help with insulin levels and help lower insulin resistance. So yes, it can be used for calorie control of course, but there are other benefits and considerations. I would also suggest science-based research.

this is basically the type of info i wanted, I what goes on within the body that makes it beneficial. I'm not gonna go out and buy books or anything, and I did manage to find several articles, as well as a friend who has (unbeknownst to me) been doing IF shared a video on FB as well that gave me some info.

Also for those asking, I am looking to lose weight. I was interested in IF because the friend that shared the video did have success losing some weight this way. I feel like if I have less hours in a day to eat, then I will by default eat less. I tried it out yesterday (ate my last meal on valentine's day at 7:30 pm, and did not eat again until 11 am yesterday morning which is roughly 15 hrs) and found that I didn't snack as much between eating my first meal and eating my last meal again around 7-730. Early this morning my kiddo fell off her bed making a LOUD bang noise that abruptly woke me, I did notice my tummy felt grumbly, but not in an OMG I HAVE TO EAT way, and went back to sleep. Keeping busy getting said kiddo up and ready for school has distracted me from being relatively hungry this morning, and I'm not hangry. So, I'll continue trying it out and see what kind of results I get in the long run.

thank you guys though.

Have you set to your MFP profile set to lose 1 lb a week and gotten your calorie goal? Are you weighing and logging your food? Without that, IF won’t do anything magical to make you lose weight.
  • brittanynicholex
    Options
    I'm well aware of how all that works. It isn't my first time, kthanks.