Is the sugar level set really low or is it just me?

Options
I have been tracking my food for almost 2 months now and almost every single day I go over on sugar.

So far today I have eaten 715 calories of which I have 32 sugars but was only alotted 24 for the entire day. I looked over my food and the majority of the sugars came from fruit. I had a snack size cup of no sugar added apple sauce (8 sugars) & 63 grams of grapes which is less than 1/2 cup (18 sugars). That is 81% of the sugars I have eaten for the day for only 2 servings of fruit. I wouldn't be concerned about going over if it wasnt every day and if I didn't still need to eat almost 500 calories to finish off the day.

(I wrote all this out because my food journal is private.)

I could understand if I had eaten chocolate, candy, or other type of sweet. Or even if I had over loaded on servings of fruit.

Any ideas? Are the sugars just set really low?

Replies

• ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm always over on sugar and I'm not usually eating alot of sugary things
  • lisadhancock
    Options
    I find that I usually go over on sugars too (mostly from fruits and cereals) but have noticed the more I work out the more I am allowed.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i have actually customize my sugar to be lower
  • jab2jad76
    Options
    my good ness I have been saying the same thing for 3 weeks!!! The sugar levels are way too low! i am always over them! I am a sugar addict and i am starving myself of it and still go over. I dont eat candy or sweet food, i do have it in my coffee ( 1 spoonful) but lets be realistic these sugar levels are insane!!!
  • Justcallmejenny
    Options
    I deleted mine from my diary so I don't have to look at the red anymore
  • lrc7
    lrc7 Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't worry about natural sugar from fruits, just watch out for things that have added sugar. A lot of people on here wont track it because it comes from fruit.
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No. The USDA recommends no more than 32 g for a 2000 calorie diet, 20 g for a 1800 calories diet, 12 g for a 1600 calories diet. However, they go out of their way to differentiate between ADDED sugars (such as table sugar or high fructose corn syrup) and natural sugar (such as fruit) even though the nutrition labels don't. Therefore, a lot of people, myself included, don't count natural sugar.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options

This is a great idea! I might just do this that way I don't have to look at it anymore either!
  • jab2jad76
    Options
    i removed it from my diary as well and just check my sodium levels now..
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    No. The USDA recommends no more than 32 g for a 2000 calorie diet, 20 g for a 1800 calories diet, 12 g for a 1600 calories diet. However, they go out of their way to differentiate between ADDED sugars (such as table sugar or high fructose corn syrup) and natural sugar (such as fruit) even though the nutrition labels don't. Therefore, a lot of people, myself included, don't count natural sugar.

Nothing I have eaten today had added sugar it was all natural. The only 2 processed foods I had today (Crackers and FF Cream Cheese) only had 1g combined and it was in the Cream Cheese so i am betting it was milk sugar (can't remember how to spell the proper name for milk sugar)

Thanks this is really good info!
  • Justcallmejenny
    Options

This is a great idea! I might just do this that way I don't have to look at it anymore either!

It was always fruit sugar so I didn't worry about it anyway but I still didn't like to look at it :drinker:
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options

The USDA recommendations are a joke.

Sugar is just a carbohydrate. Thats it. Whether you are talking about sucrose, fructose, lactose, etc it doesnt matter. Sugar in itself doesnt make you fat. Being over your maintenance calories for a prolonged period of time does.

Unless you are diabetic, dont worry about it.

And FYI, there is nothing wrong with HFCS
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

The USDA recommendations are a joke.

Sugar is just a carbohydrate. Thats it. Whether you are talking about sucrose, fructose, lactose, etc it doesnt matter. Sugar in itself doesnt make you fat. Being over your maintenance calories for a prolonged period of time does.

Unless you are diabetic, dont worry about it.

And FYI, there is nothing wrong with HFCS

yes yes yes. THANK YOU! No one seems to get this xD
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I changed my diary settings and don't even track my sugar anymore. I do eat things with added sugar, but it's minimal, but I would go over everyday too because I eat a lot of fruit and Greek yogurt. Even plain Greek yogurt has 5+ grams of sugar. I look at it more as added sugar and not naturally occurring sugars like those in fruits, veggies, and dairy. I've lost 40 pounds and I've never tracked my sugars, so for me it doesn't matter. It does affect some peoples' weight loss though, so I would just say that if you're losing weight steadily not to worry about it, but if you're not maybe try to eat a bit less high sugar fruit.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't even track my sugar anymore. I don't add sugar to anything I eat and I don't eat candy. All of my sugar comes from fruit or is already in the food.