Help - Swapped Nicotine for Sugar!

I gave up smoking 15 weeks ago. Since then I have put on a stone in weight as I cannot seem to stop eating sweet, sugary snacks, ice creams etc. I have limited mobility due to an autoimmune condition. What do others think is a realistic target to lose each week? I have been trying to stick to the 1200 calories per day on mfp, which is fine during the morning but come mid afternoon I am tempted back by the sugar. Any suggestions please? (before giving up smoking I was 140 pounds and not tempted at all by the sweet stuff)

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited February 2018
    I gave up smoking 15 weeks ago. Since then I have put on a stone in weight as I cannot seem to stop eating sweet, sugary snacks, ice creams etc. I have limited mobility due to an autoimmune condition. What do others think is a realistic target to lose each week? I have been trying to stick to the 1200 calories per day on mfp, which is fine during the morning but come mid afternoon I am tempted back by the sugar. Any suggestions please? (before giving up smoking I was 140 pounds and not tempted at all by the sweet stuff)

Congratulations! I've been off the cigarettes for about 10 weeks now. Don't limit yourself on the sweets or calories too much as you can only fight one demon at a time. Make the cuts in other areas that aren't so linked to your cigarette cravings (and yes, regardless of what the literature might say, we are still very much addicted to cigarettes. Speaking for myself, I quit cold turkey and can honestly say that I still want a cigarette every single day).

I would probably phase myself down to maintenance over the next couple of weeks and then target a deficit of less than 500 calories per day after that. Gradually ween yourself off the sweets. Start to replace them with lower calorie options over time (fruit, Halo Top, small snack size bites of chocolate, etc.). 4 months to put on the weight, and 4 months to take it off. Easy peasy.

I'm allowing myself to eat a ton to fight my cravings but I'm also able to get in a lot of exercise.
  • Mumstrongbow
    Mumstrongbow Posts: 8 Member
    DX2JX2 - well done to you too. I had to go cold turkey as I had five teeth out and couldn't draw on the cigarettes after! My main time of craving one is after a meal, was always my favourite ciggy to have - I think I have literally swapped those for the sweets.

I do realise that it won't happen overnight but my joints were less painful when I was lighter. I have increased my fruit intake and I will get some of the snack sized chocolates to replace the bigger bars and see how that goes to start with.

I have also broken up a larger bar of chocolate and put it in the freezer to see if that slows down the number of chocolate bars I have.