Shoes

Options
So recently I had started using a pair of Nike's that fit and are new but they are making my toes go numb when I work out (does not happen in other shoes I wear to the gym (used to have New Balance for a few years but didn't go to the gym nearly as much).

I am thinking of going to the store tomorrow to find new gym shoes. Any recommendations for shoes that are great for people who are beginning to run or things to look for in a shoe that I buy so I don't waste money this time and have the same problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I know for runners it's recommended to get a shoe at least a half size bigger to account for swelling while running. Depending on what sort of exercise you do that might be the cause. That being said I wear Asics Gel Strikes (my normal size) to exercise in and don't have any issues.
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that can do a gait analysis or can at least informally watch how you walk. They can help you figure out what would be good for your feet.
  • jenblowsbubblez
    jenblowsbubblez Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump! bc i am having the same issue. I have a pretty new pair of Fila's and I never had a problem with them until i started working out.:( now my feet stay sore and i don't want to stop working out :(
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i have Reebok TrainTones for everyday wear, and Reebok RunTones for the gym.
    these shoes fit me like a glove!
    (bad analogy? haha)
    LOVE THEM!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    If at all possible go to a running, walking, or fitness store that will evaluate your needs and your feet. I bought a pair that ened up hurting my foot and then went to a running store where they watched me walk, watched me run, had me try on many pair and run around the block in them, and then rewatched me walk in them. It was amazing and my asics are last years model so they were even on sale. I use those for running and then I found another pair for 20 dollars at a huge sports sale and use those for other workouts. I would say that the most help you can get at the store the better chance you will have getting the right pair. If the employees know what they are talking about and how to fit you, you will love em. Good luck!!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You need to be fitted at a real running store. What works for me won't for you ;) Getting fitted where they evaluate your gait and what you like will make a HUGE HUGE difference and reduce injuries.
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Go to a store that can do a gait analysis or can at least informally watch how you walk. They can help you figure out what would be good for your feet.

Totally agree with mccrockl and other post regards going to a store and getting assessed from a certified pedorthist. I did this and it's made a world of difference!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    while I don't disagree about needing new shoes, I noticed no one has mentioned a break in period for your current shoes. When you first get them you should break them in a bit before working out in them, so they have a little "give"; that may be part of the problem
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Before heading out to a store... for this PARTICULAR issue, it could be that the shoe is too tight or the laces are too tight.

If your shoes are already 1/2-1 size bigger than your regular shoes, trying the following lacing patterns:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html

If you've tried both of those, go to the running store and get fitted.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i just bought a new pair of Asics today..they are a size bigger than my other shoes..they are so comfortable..they lady helped me alot and let me try on oddles of shoes but did recommend this brand over anything else they had. My toes would always fall asleepin my other shoes and I'm thinking they were too small.
  • brendaleentjes
    brendaleentjes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet so I have to wear running shoes because they support my arch the best. I am very happy with my Saucony's and also have Reebok Tek Zig's. I found that Sports Authority was the most helpful with helping me where as ****'s I was on my own even after asking questions.
    Saucony's and Asics seem to be your best bet. My Reebok's are okay, not great. I used to have the same problem as you when I used to wear Nike's and New Balance.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    They don't go numb in the shoe when i'm walking or doing other activities, just high intensity and worn them for about 2 months at this point. It doesn't feel like they are laced to tight as it's really just the toes that get pins and needles and do not have pressure on the tops of my feet where the laces are.

My friends are reccomending the same type of deal (a speciality running store that will watch how I walk/run etc).

I had foot problems as a child and was in corrective shoes for 2 years until my foot muscles developed enough to keep my feet straight. I've heard a lot about Asics, and New Balance that work.

I think i'm going to try this special running store tomorrow morning in hopes that I find something that will work well (even if I have to pay more).

How long should I wear them around to break them in before I try running/ the gym though?

bunchesonothing- I never knew there was all sorts of ways to lace your shoes to help alleviate problems! Thank you for this great website!